E6 spatchcock turkey

I’ve done turkey cut up like a chicken. Cooks in 90-100 mins at around 350°F after searing the skin for color and to start the rendering.

1637608262325.jpeg

1637608295854.jpeg

Brined and then rubbed for most flavor. You can do a wet or dry brine. Your call.

Maybe quarter it instead? A Temp probe in each piece? Gives more options pulling it off so the breast won't be over cooked before the thighs are done.

My best turkey included herb butter. I'm new to the E6 but planning to add some pecan chunks, then fill the bottom about 5 or 6" deep with charcoal, dig out about a half a chimney worth of charcoal, light it up and dump it back in. Once I'm at target temperature (325 or so) for 15 minutes, I'll put the bird in the cooker. I hope I'm on the right track here, if not, please let me know.

As far as the bird goes, it will be spatchcocked some hybrid approach like Brett suggested - I might spatchcock, then remove the leg quarters before putting in the E6... the option to remove the breast first and leave the legs in longer if needed sounds appealing.

Yup.....I quarter turkeys when I do them in the oven or grill. I take my white meat off at 150 and rest them in a cooler, and then take the dark meat off around 175-180 and then let them rest as well.

I make gravy, usually the day before, using the wing tips, necks, backbone, giblets etc - roast them all up nice, make a roux and then gravy.

So, basically, my entire turkey dinner is done far before eating time - just have to do some side dishes. Lots of time to spend with family and friends. We even do our stuffing in the slowcooker/instant pot....so, just have to mash a few potatoes and heat up something green and feast.

I do not plan on cutting into 4 parts, but I do plan to tie the drumsticks together to help keep it together while cookin. Not sure if I am going to grizzle with butter or spritz during cooking.

Yup.....I quarter turkeys when I do them in the oven or grill. I take my white meat off at 150 and rest them in a cooler, and then take the dark meat off around 175-180 and then let them rest as well.

I make gravy, usually the day before, using the wing tips, necks, backbone, giblets etc - roast them all up nice, make a roux and then gravy.

So, basically, my entire turkey dinner is done far before eating time - just have to do some side dishes. Lots of time to spend with family and friends. We even do our stuffing in the slowcooker/instant pot....so, just have to mash a few potatoes and heat up something green and feast.
Along with the turkey, we plan to have mashed potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, and green bean almandine. A family favorite called raw apple (yep, no pies) cake for desert.

I am nervous this year because for the last 30 years I have made the family tradition (dictated by mom/dad) of stuffed turkey Dinner with pies. 8 people vs. 25. No stuffing or dressing, cooked on E6. So this year is out of the box.

I do not plan on cutting into 4 parts, but I do plan to tie the drumsticks together to help keep it together while cookin. Not sure if I am going to grizzle with butter or spritz during cooking.
I cut it as breast with wing attached, thighs and legs. Before I owned an instant read thermometer I relied on the leg trick for doneness.

When the skin peels up the turkey leg to expose the bone, the bird is done.

I like crispy skin so the sear up front helped develop the skin. And these have been the juciest and most moist birds I’ve ever done.

I’ve been cooking turkeys this way for around 10+ years now.

For wood flavor, I add a few mesquite chips. Not chunks but chips. Don’t over do the mesquite. It’s really an enhancer to other woods and makes for a real good flavor profile along with pecan or oak.

Turkey takes smoke very easily so less, much less, is more. A nice enhanced flavor without being heavily pronounced.

I don’t think you’ll need to separate the dark from white on cook times as your temp is very low. Personally I like a slightly higher temp to get the skin mahogany in color and with some snap.

I usually take the cooked neck from the bbq and then make a gravy. Drop the cooked neck into unsalted chicken stock and water combo 50/50 after making a mirepoix. The add the neck, bring to a boil then simmer for 20 mins as the bird is resting, add some butter, mushrooms and a thickening agent (roux or cornstarch with the stock mixed in) to desired consistency.

We’re flying home right now from a cruise vacation. We were invited out for TG this year. First time I haven’t made TG at home since 1992.

We’ll be at my son’s GFs parents house. I’ll bring some side and apps. Feels weird to not be playing with a turkey this week.

Life marches on.

Wishing you all a healthy and happy Thanksgiving! Looking forward to all of your cooks and pics.

2013 Turkey
1637626317214.jpeg

1637626352792.jpeg

1637626384607.jpeg

1637626450523.jpeg

1637626513721.jpeg

My plan for the turkey is to spatch it, inject with a mix of turkey stock, butter, and this rub I really like (Freekin Greek), then smoke it on my RT700 at 350F, which should produce a very mild smoke.

Back