E6 or EX6?

No bueno. I think we can all say we’ve had or started grease fires but that does look concerning. Dude’s lucky it didn’t burn other items like his house.

Indeed. That small explosion out of the ash drawer was especially concerning. Imagine if he was standing in front of it !!

I'm not skilled in combustion or fires or anything like that. So I don't know what could happen to cause that small explosion.

10 seconds in for the surprise. I just stumbled across this today. May have been posted here before. Don't know.

Call me skittish, but this is not for me. I suppose we could argue the guy did not know what he was doing.
That's a very convincing video. I guess I'm putting my life at risk every time I fire it up. :LOL: Video dated August 11, 2020. Not exactly a current event. I had the identical thing happen with my first pellet pooper, a Rec Tec but I had my hand on the lid handle when the explosive ignition occurred. It was my fault and not the grill but the guy that posted that video absolutely, positively has to be a credible source of information.

That's a very convincing video. I guess I'm putting my life at risk every time I fire it up. :LOL: Video dated August 11, 2020. Not exactly a current event. I had the identical thing happen with my first pellet pooper, a Rec Tec but I had my hand on the lid handle when the explosive ignition occurred. It was my fault and not the grill but the guy that posted that video absolutely, positively has to be a credible source of information.

So now I am curious since I have never had a pellet grill before. What did you do that caused your explosion on your Rec Tec?

Edit:. The date on the video certainly makes it look like the first generation. Although there are still people complaining about the second generation, and I think the second generation was supposed to have solved the grease management system? Not really sure since I just started researching these things. And got real cold feet after I saw that video.

Last edited:
Oh please don't tell me that about the Rectec , I was gonna send back my EX6 and get the RT700
The 700 will not disappoint you. My Rec Tec was an excellent smoker. I gave it to my son and he hasn't had one problem in 2 years. It was NOT the grill. I'm pretty sure that I can replicate that on any pellet grill at this price point. It's a flameout, then the addition of a bunch of pellets that don't burn but smolder as the pile gets deeper. With the fan blowing on it you have an extra large amount of smoldering pellets and then they all ignite. That gives you the pressure pulse that raised the lid a little. Instead of shutting it down when I saw billowing smoke I let it keep running. BTW, there's a video of a similar event with a Traeger but it blew the lid off the grill.

The RT-700 is an excellent smoker and I love all the stainless steel they put inside them. I chose the Smokefire because I wanted the sear capability that it gives me.

The 700 will not disappoint you. My Rec Tec was an excellent smoker. I gave it to my son and he hasn't had one problem in 2 years. It was NOT the grill. I'm pretty sure that I can replicate that on any pellet grill at this price point. It's a flameout, then the addition of a bunch of pellets that don't burn but smolder as the pile gets deeper. With the fan blowing on it you have an extra large amount of smoldering pellets and then they all ignite. That gives you the pressure pulse that raised the lid a little. Instead of shutting it down when I saw billowing smoke I let it keep running. BTW, there's a video of a similar event with a Traeger but it blew the lid off the grill.

The RT-700 is an excellent smoker and I love all the stainless steel they put inside them. I chose the Smokefire because I wanted the sear capability that it gives me.
this one:

So now I am curious since I have never had a pellet grill before. What did you do that caused your explosion on your Rec Tec?

Edit:. The date on the video certainly makes it look like the first generation. Although there are still people complaining about the second generation, and I think the second generation was supposed to have solved the grease management system? Not really sure since I just started researching these things. And got real cold feet after I saw that video.
Tony, there is so much misinformation flying around the Internet and it's largely people that have never run the grill and just repeat stuff that they read on the Internet. To compound the problem the Weber PR people totally oversold the grill initially and then they made their grand proclamations about how much improved the Gen 2 is. That's BS. They touted the improved software in the Gen 2. It's the same software that they have improved since initial release in 2020 and every Smokefire runs the same software. They tout the improved hopper floor with an increased angle to improve pellet flow into the auger chute. They sent me that part last summer and I installed it in my Gen 1. After 4 months I removed it because I had made my original ramp slicker and never had a pellet feed problem. Grease flow is unchanged and Weber never said they had changed it. Some ditz put that out on the Internet and now thousands of folks think it's a fact. I use drip pans under fatty meat and don't have a grease management problem The ONLY significant change in the Gen 2 is the welded auger chute assembly. Weber sent me the part and I changed it out. Essentially, my Gen 1 is now a custom Gen 2. :LOL:

I don't know where you are in Florida but I'm about 35 miles nw of Disney World right off I-4. If you want to see my EX6 and play with it just let me know and we can find a convenient time. This grill has warts and I know it's not right for many people. I try to give accurate information and then you can decide based on fact. You won't get a sales pitch from me.

Tony, there is so much misinformation flying around the Internet and it's largely people that have never run the grill and just repeat stuff that they read on the Internet. To compound the problem the Weber PR people totally oversold the grill initially and then they made their grand proclamations about how much improved the Gen 2 is. That's BS. They touted the improved software in the Gen 2. It's the same software that they have improved since initial release in 2020 and every Smokefire runs the same software. They tout the improved hopper floor with an increased angle to improve pellet flow into the auger chute. They sent me that part last summer and I installed it in my Gen 1. After 4 months I removed it because I had made my original ramp slicker and never had a pellet feed problem. Grease flow is unchanged and Weber never said they had changed it. Some ditz put that out on the Internet and now thousands of folks think it's a fact. I use drip pans under fatty meat and don't have a grease management problem The ONLY significant change in the Gen 2 is the welded auger chute assembly. Weber sent me the part and I changed it out. Essentially, my Gen 1 is now a custom Gen 2. :LOL:

I don't know where you are in Florida but I'm about 35 miles nw of Disney World right off I-4. If you want to see my EX6 and play with it just let me know and we can find a convenient time. This grill has warts and I know it's not right for many people. I try to give accurate information and then you can decide based on fact. You won't get a sales pitch from me.
Learning how your cooker works is the key to every grill/smoker/pellet pooper. Lew is spot on and is smart to use drip catch trays. No one grill is the world’s “best” cooker. It’s all about features, benefits and does it work for one’s goals and objectives. Well said, Lew.

Thanks for the additional info on the smokefire. Gives me something to chew on

I am just north of Orlando and thanks for the offer. Gonna keep researching a bit more. I am leaning toward the Summit Kamado E6 though. Seems like a lot less cons.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info on the smokefire. Gives me something to chew on

I am just north of Orlando and thanks for the offer. Gonna keep researching a bit more. I am leaning toward the Summit Kamado E6 though. Seems like a lot less cons.
Hey Tony. I saw your post on another forum too. Smart asking around in your research

What food are you wanting to cook that your current grills aren't doing well for you?

Oh please don't tell me that about the Rectec , I was gonna send back my EX6 and get the RT700

I have a RT700 with a smoke box and comp cart. It replaced a stick burner a couple years ago. They live up to the hype, IMO. Great for long cooks. But it does lack the depth of smoke flavor a stick burner has, unless you use a smoke tube, which is simple enough.

What don't you like about your EX6? I considered one recently, but ended up going with a 26" kettle.

Hey Tony. I saw your post on another forum too. Smart asking around in your research

What food are you wanting to cook that your current grills aren't doing well for you?

Oh yeah, on the traeger forums. So, you deduced my screen name "T in FL" was me? You should work for the CIA :) j/k

When it comes to the food that I cook, my current grills are fine, they just lack the capacity. I take that back. The gasser has so much real estate. But I generally just cook steaks with my grillgrates. And I do smash burgers on it using my cast iron griddles.

My kamado cooks really well but I can only get about 10 chicken thighs on it. Anything more than that and they're touching each other too much and gets crowded. I like to cook my ribs lying flat, and I can only do two racks on the kamado. I really need to do at least four.

So the kamado, it really comes down to capacity, or lack thereof.

Based on the images I saw, the 24-in weber kamadow Will let me do 4 rib racks lying flat. And that's one example.

I was leaning towards the e6. But there is a part of me that still needs to research pellets because I'm just not 100% sold if I need a 24 inch kamado or just try the pellet rig. I do know the ex6 is definitely not in my future

I love the SF. Food tastes great, easy to cook UNTIL yesterday. Put up a $50 brisket for last minute guests for Fri night dinner . Everything was going well and I was going to take it to 160 then wrap in foil to 200. I had to run out and like it's done before, I lost my wifi connection (on my second controller) so I couldn't check on it. Came back an hour later. SF was OFF. Flies were all around trying to get in for my Brisket. The controller was frozen, buttons were unresponsive. I had to shut it down and then start again. My Brisket was luke warm. Had to bring it back to 160 then wrapped. Smelled delicious, looked good, but didn't taste as good as it should've. I have lost faith in this grill. It will be going back to Weber. Calling them this week. I am happy that I didn't buy any accessories for it. I'd rather get another grill and have to add a smoke tube to my liking, than to ruin a good piece of meat.I have read on multiple places of people having controller issues. This should be addressed. Sending out a replacement controller is just putting a band aid on, it's not fixing the problem when it's still the same software which obviously has issues. Sorry Weber, I tried. I really did.

Every time I think it is safe to go back into the water...:(:eek:

If there was ever a grill that provokes more opposite reactions and experiences, I don't know what it is. We've seen some AWESOME looking cue from the SmokeFire and then we hear stuff like this...Really hard for me to sort it out sitting still on the sidelines. I am hoping to get a bonus at work that will allow me to justify to my wife that I should be able to buy a second pellet grill. I was in Lowes today and was again checking out the EX-4 as a compliment to my Recteq RT-700. Lots of good things to like, in spite of cheapo grates. I even have a set of cast iron Weber grates with the GBS insert that I am holding for that EX-4:cool:. Figure I would use the upper grate not nearly as often and when it finally fails look for some of the replacement options we have seen here. But then...

SPIDER GRILL 22

I have recently been attracted to this product that originally started on KickStarter as the "Pella." It made it to reality and is available for only $279. It is somewhat of an alternative to Recteq's Bullseye ($399), but there is a little more to that. First of all, unlike the Bullseye, Spider has made provision for grease management. Second, although I do like Recteq's stainless body, there is still a lot to be said for using a Weber kettle :smilekettle: as the body for a round pellet grill. And, if you are like me, you already have more kettles than you need:redmastertouch:, so committing one to this use is a no-cost, no-brainer. Also an easier sell to my wife!;)

I realize that many of you already will be writing this off as a gimmick. But wait, at least check out a couple of what seem to be honest reviews. Very positive - at least within the limits of what you can expect from a 22" round pellet grill:

Since all I want is a 2nd smaller pellet grill to help out when I do one of my small bbq events - and since I have a Thermoworks Smoke to monitor with (plus plenty of extra kettles) - can anyone tell me a good reason not to go this route vs. an EX-4?

Finally, they clearly say that the Spider 22 will not work on Performers or other table Weber kettle grills. From watching, my guess is that the weight of the Spider 22 attachment rests on the ground and that the clips that attach to the kettle are not strong enough to hold it up (or may damage your kettle). I am thinking that this Spider 22 would be a perfect marriage with a modified old SSP (Stainless Performer). I would see about adding a slightly elevated ledge to the one side of the SSP for this to sit on. Eliminate the slide aside on the SSP kettle and modify the holes to use for the Spider Probe and Smoke probes. If this could work, it would make this into a rolling, one-piece unit with a nice stainless prep tray and even storage for your pellets. There are still a lot of derelict SSPs out there where the igniter and 5lb tank are shot. Those would all be eliminated. Last thing I would do is get one of those attachments that puts your kettle lid on a hinge. Have it open to the back now instead of to the side like it did with the slide aside, since that is where the Spider 22 would now be.

Think I am crazy?!!!:unsure:

If there was ever a grill that provokes more opposite reactions and experiences, I don't know what it is. We've seen some AWESOME looking cue from the SmokeFire and then we hear stuff like this...Really hard for me to sort it out sitting still on the sidelines. I am hoping to get a bonus at work that will allow me to justify to my wife that I should be able to buy a second pellet grill. I was in Lowes today and was again checking out the EX-4 as a compliment to my Recteq RT-700. Lots of good things to like, in spite of cheapo grates. I even have a set of cast iron Weber grates with the GBS insert that I am holding for that EX-4:cool:. Figure I would use the upper grate not nearly as often and when it finally fails look for some of the replacement options we have seen here. But then...

SPIDER GRILL 22

I have recently been attracted to this product that originally started on KickStarter as the "Pella." It made it to reality and is available for only $279. It is somewhat of an alternative to Recteq's Bullseye ($399), but there is a little more to that. First of all, unlike the Bullseye, Spider has made provision for grease management. Second, although I do like Recteq's stainless body, there is still a lot to be said for using a Weber kettle :smilekettle: as the body for a round pellet grill. And, if you are like me, you already have more kettles than you need:redmastertouch:, so committing one to this use is a no-cost, no-brainer. Also an easier sell to my wife!;)

I realize that many of you already will be writing this off as a gimmick. But wait, at least check out a couple of what seem to be honest reviews. Very positive - at least within the limits of what you can expect from a 22" round pellet grill:

Since all I want is a 2nd smaller pellet grill to help out when I do one of my small bbq events - and since I have a Thermoworks Smoke to monitor with (plus plenty of extra kettles) - can anyone tell me a good reason not to go this route vs. an EX-4?

Finally, they clearly say that the Spider 22 will not work on Performers or other table Weber kettle grills. From watching, my guess is that the weight of the Spider 22 attachment rests on the ground and that the clips that attach to the kettle are not strong enough to hold it up (or may damage your kettle). I am thinking that this Spider 22 would be a perfect marriage with a modified old SSP (Stainless Performer). I would see about adding a slightly elevated ledge to the one side of the SSP for this to sit on. Eliminate the slide aside on the SSP kettle and modify the holes to use for the Spider Probe and Smoke probes. If this could work, it would make this into a rolling, one-piece unit with a nice stainless prep tray and even storage for your pellets. There are still a lot of derelict SSPs out there where the igniter and 5lb tank are shot. Those would all be eliminated. Last thing I would do is get one of those attachments that puts your kettle lid on a hinge. Have it open to the back now instead of to the side like it did with the slide aside, since that is where the Spider 22 would now be.

I’ll just play devils advocate. Why a pellet pooper and why not a Weber Kamado? Yes I own a Kamado but I was considering a SF when they came out and reminded myself that I hate things that have to plug in to bbq with. That’s just me. I prefer fire and coal. But I’m curious why not a coal solution for you that works just about 100% of the time as designed. Not arguing here. Just positing an idea.

I’ll just play devils advocate. Why a pellet pooper and why not a Weber Kamado? Yes I own a Kamado but I was considering a SF when they came out and reminded myself that I hate things that have to plug in to bbq with. That’s just me. I prefer fire and coal. But I’m curious why not a coal solution for you that works just about 100% of the time as designed. Not arguing here. Just positing an idea.
Brett,

I still enjoy my Weber kettles with charcoal and would have to admit that there is still something special about cooking with REAL fire! For moderate size high heat stuff like steaks, burgers, chops I also have a well worn Weber CharQ that gives results a little like the old Hibachi my Dad used when I was a kid. (I am still on the lookout for the right one of those at a price I can afford :) .)

Before I got my Recteq, I had a large Big Green Egg. I liked it very much but I have to admit that after I got the Recteq its use dropped off significantly. I guess I am lazy, but I also enjoy trying different pellets. Even though the BGE could hold a temperature incredibly well, I never could really sleep on a long night cook. With my RT-700 I at least get a decent amount of sleep on the night before a bbq event. It hasn't let me down yet. I guess that's what worries me about the SmokeFire, along with questions some have raised about durability. And then the worry that the SmokeFire may become an orphan product like the old Weber gas kettle.

Well, sorry for rambling. I guess my answer is that my kettles do get service when I have an event, but I generally do stuff like chicken that can be done that day rather than all night cooks. For long cooks, I personally like pellet grills. I sold my BGE when I moved from Florida because I was truly afraid of breaking it in the move. (That's another positive about the Weber Kamado.) I admit to still looking at ads for ceramic grills now and then. There's a nice looking Primo oval in a cedar cart a few hours from me for only $650...

SPIDER GRILL 22

Wonder how well this would fit on a 26” Kettle?

Back