E6 food to coal distance and elevated food grate thoughts

SteveEd

TVWBB Member
Still shopping...

Can you tell me the exact distance from the coal grate to the cooking grate? In another post there were pics where it looks like 10 inches but I can't get a fix on the angle of the camera to the lip where the food grate rests.

Also I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer on the WSK's ability to "BBQ" chicken over the coals. A Kettle's food grate is just too close to the coals and at 10 inches the WSK may be a little close, too. The Pit Barrel 18 is about 16 inches above the coals and does a great job. The Hasty Bake Legacy's lowest position is 14.5" and I've heard it's a great chicken cooker, too. I don't want to grill chicken too close to the fire but rather do a 1.5 to 2 hour cook over the coals like my dad used to do in an old horizontal barrel pit. Over the coals is a must for me. I know the WSK can do indirect cooking and low and slow.

Do any of you know of any options for raising the food grate? The Weber expander grate is 5.5 inches high and that may be enough but it doesn't have the surface area I need. I don't know what the WSK's lid will allow but I'd like to go at least 5 inches higher and have a 22 inch food grate at that height. The WSK seems to do it all but I may be asking too much here. On the other hand, you WSK owners might say that temp control is so easy that even over the coals I can get 275-325 without fear of flare-ups. Not enough experience, me!

For the record: I always leave my grate in the lower position. I find it works best there in all situations.

I cook in both upper and lower coal positions.

You can do direct over coals in lower position and hold 275-300°, just dial down your bottom vent.

Check out my cook pics in photo gallery for an assortment of hot direct sears to low and slows.

Best cooker I’ve ever used. And lump works amazingly on the E6. Much better that briqs IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you--for the measurement and for the assurance that I can cook over the coals. The WSK is really tugging on my shirt tail not unlike my granddaughters and they almost always get what they want.

I looked again at some pics in another thread that also showed the diameter at the level of the diffuser--19 inches is pretty vast. I was amazed at the size which I hadn't appreciated until that pic gave me some scale. Looks like a generous cooker. Brett, I'm off now to find your pics in the gallery. Thanks.

Anyone cooking meat on an elevated grate like the one Weber offers? Sure would like to go up 4-5 inches and be able to have more surface than the Weber offering.

Can anyone comment on this hypothetical?

Putting the Weber expander rack (elevates 5.5 inches) on the top grate; place a 22 inch grate on top of the Weber expander rack and maybe even wire it to the rack; place chicken parts, mostly thighs on the 22 inch grate...

Do you think this is doable? Would the lid close and leave enough space over the chicken to circulate heat and smoke?

Edit: BTW, I asked Weber these questions and they sent me a drawing from the E6 web page that only showed the exterior dimensions of the cooker. Pretty weak response.

Can anyone comment on this hypothetical?

Putting the Weber expander rack (elevates 5.5 inches) on the top grate; place a 22 inch grate on top of the Weber expander rack and maybe even wire it to the rack; place chicken parts, mostly thighs on the 22 inch grate...

Do you think this is doable? Would the lid close and leave enough space over the chicken to circulate heat and smoke?

Edit: BTW, I asked Weber these questions and they sent me a drawing from the E6 web page that only showed the exterior dimensions of the cooker. Pretty weak response.
Question: how much food you seeking to cook at once?

@Darryl - swazies, I believe you use the upper deck expander on butts. Can you advise/reply?

I’m a flat earther, only use the 24” main grate and haven’t needed more real estate.

@Darryl - swazies, I believe you use the upper deck expander on butts. Can you advise/reply?

I’m a flat earther, only use the 24” main grate and haven’t needed more real estate.
As I asked in the original post, I want to cook as high above the exposed coals as possible. This is not about cooking more but about having the cooking grate higher above exposed coals--no diffuser. The Weber expander rack is high enough but there's not much real estate. For example, I'd like to get about 12 thighs cooking 14 inches above the coals.

As I asked in the original post, I want to cook as high above the exposed coals as possible. This is not about cooking more but about having the cooking grate higher above exposed coals--no diffuser. The Weber expander rack is high enough but there's not much real estate. For example, I'd like to get about 12 thighs cooking 14 inches above the coals.
I’d offer in reply to dial down your temp with the bottom vent and load a thinner layer of briqs or smaller lump pieces to get the cook you’re seeking (over coals but longer cook at lower temps). I don’t think there’d be a substantial difference between the 10 inch stock height versus the 14 in desired. The higher into the dome the hotter the temp will be, in theory.

Note, I only use diffuser on indirect cooks, like ribs, briskets, butts, anything needing lower temps and longer cooks. The E6 can cook with a small amount of coals/briqs/lump. Stable temps are a key feature and low fuel consumption. It took me a few cooks to figure it out that this IS NOT a kettle, but a Kamado.

Hope this helps. LMK if I’m off base from your desired answer/data set you seek.

I’d offer in reply to dial down your temp with the bottom vent and load a thinner layer of briqs or smaller lump pieces to get the cook you’re seeking (over coals but longer cook at lower temps). I don’t think there’d be a substantial difference between the 10 inch stock height versus the 14 in desired. The higher into the dome the hotter the temp will be, in theory.

Note, I only use diffuser on indirect cooks, like ribs, briskets, butts, anything needing lower temps and longer cooks. The E6 can cook with a small amount of coals/briqs/lump. Stable temps are a key feature and low fuel consumption. It took me a few cooks to figure it out that this IS NOT a kettle, but a Kamado.

Hope this helps. LMK if I’m off base from your desired answer/data set you seek.
Nope, you're right on target. Exactly what I'd like to hear. I see you basically said that in an earlier post but I was too thick to get it until now. I hear Weber's prices are going up soon so I'd better make my move soon. Thanks, Brett.

There looks to be room to raise a 22 inch grate at least 4 inches above the main grate.

Lots of ways to add a second rack, and BG egg heads have been doing it for years.

I'd look at ceramic grill store, and maybe call and ask them for suggestions. I have a second level rack for my BGE from CGS and it's grate.

There looks to be room to raise a 22 inch grate at least 4 inches above the main grate.

Lots of ways to add a second rack, and BG egg heads have been doing it for years.

I'd look at ceramic grill store, and maybe call and ask them for suggestions. I have a second level rack for my BGE from CGS and it's grate.

I took a look at the Ceramic Grill Store's BGE XL adjustable rig. It's 6 inches tall so its highest point would be 16 inches above the coal grate. That's good but since Weber's expansion rack is 5.1 inches tall I'm concerned that the XL rig may be too tall. Like you said, Dan, I should call them and ask if they know the WSK well enough to help me. If it would work then I can put their 20" round grate on it and that should be enough for my cooks. 20 inch grates are what they recommend but I'd like to see if I can get away with a 22. I wouldn't know how the lid dimensions of the Weber compare to the BGE XL's lid.

But before I spend the money on this rig I need to cook with the WSK as is. Brett says I can get what I want without raising the cooking grate. That would be ideal since it would give me the whole 452 square inches of space.

By the way, nice place this tvwbb. I think these are my first posts. I've been lurking for years.

Should the WSK have its own category instead of sharing with the Kettles? Not that I'm ashamed to be associated. :)

I use both upper and lower, but also added a middle charcoal grate position. This puts the large Vortex at about three+ inches below the cooking grate which is perfect if I want to use a cast iron griddle in the GBS or Vortex wings/thighs

I'm in the same boat as you bud, I don't own a second level grate.....never need to cook that much food.

The 24 holds a lot of food at once, how much food were you planning on cooking all the time Steve????
Do go look at the threads made by Brett......he has lots of pics with lots of food going.
Online retailers also sell the half moon shape type sized second level grates that you can get for a pretty good price.
If I had to bet I would say putting the 22" grate above the 24" - 5 inches up will not fit.
Why would I say that?
Every time I light my 22" performer I lift the lid on the E6 and rest my 22" grate on top of the 24 while I get the coals all hot and ready.
There isn't a ton of room to do this, it fits but its close in size, then going up 5 inches you would be hitting the dome, I am pretty sure.
Also most grates have handles on them too you would need to remove to even have a chance.
For reference amazon offers a lot of products similar to these. ( pic at bottom )
If I had to......this is probably where I would start.......or just use 2 kettles, then you can manage 2 different temps for different foods.
And you look great while doing it while company admires your double charcoal cooking skills.
1647956105089.png

Thanks, Darryl. I don't need more space to cook more food. I'm trying to find out how far above the coals I can go so that I can cook (spatchcocked chicken for example) in a way that resembles cooking in a pit directly over the coals but high enough to avoid flareups so that I don't have to monitor the cook too much. I currently cook chicken parts or spatchcocked chicken on a grate on a Pit Barrel. That grate is 16 inches above the coals and there's no diffuser--it's a direct cook but at 16 inches there's great smoke and no concern for flareups. So for me it's different from "grilling" which is more like on a Kettle and closer to the fire.

The WSK gives me 10 inches above the charcoal (even less with charcoal loaded) so I'm wondering if it can cook chicken the way I want, over the coals with no flareups. If not then I'll either have to find a way to elevate the cooking grate or cook on a different cooker. The Pit Barrel grate is too small at 18 inches. I always cook more food than it can handle unless I hang the chicken and I'm just too lazy to deal with cleaning the hooks. I could buy the new 22 inch Pit Barrel I suppose but it can't do what the WSK can do.

Brett says I can build a smaller fire since I'm only doing an hour and a half or two hour cook and that I can control the temps so that they are comparable to the Pit Barrel which varies from 275-325 for me. I don't doubt that though I have to admit that I'm still concerned that fat dripping on the coals will produce flareups. Fat dripping on the coals is essential to this style cook so I'm hoping to have my cake and eat it, too.

Ceramic Grill Store has their BGE XL rig that raises 6 inches but with a 20 inch grate. I'll give them a call and see if they know the WSK well enough to advise me. I suspect that you and Brett may be right--that it's too near the lid and therefore too hot or too crammed for circulation. Another solution for me would be a Kettle 22 with a Cajun Bandit stacker which adds 10 inches of height and no lid clearance issues. Unfortunately, Cajun Bandit is having sourcing problems like most everyone and the stacker might not be available for a while.

Back