Duraflame charcoal

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Whiile browsing my local IGA store I happen to wander into the charcoal isle and what do I find DURAFLAME. 20lb bags in both regular and hardwood. Price was kind of high. They wanted $7.69 for the regular and a little more for the hardwood. If you are running out of Rancher, IMHO,Duraflame is a great sub. Does long cooks real well

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
Does Duraflame have lighter fluid soaked in it for faster lighting or am I thinking of another brand? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You might be thinking Duraflame the fire place logs. Them waxy made out of saw dust logs that you just light the wrapper they come in.
I have heard nothing but great reviews about the Duraflame charcoal. I'm still looking for it here, but no luck in finding any. I know Mr Minion had great things to say about it.
icon_wink.gif

I live in Fl but have a lakehome in SC. While I read about Duraflame briqs on this board, I could never find it around here, NW FL. Then, in a small town in SC at a Piggly Wiggly, there it was. I use it while I'm in SC in a Rancher and a WSM and always bring some home !

If its available in your area, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Paul

somehow i missed this. i love duraflame briquetes. i'm hoarding a couple of buckets. i'm so bummed out as the store that carried it now only carries kingsford. i know the owner of the store so i'm gonna bend his ear when i see him. i just e'd duraflame to tell me were its at so i can get some. their list on their site don't work. otherwise i'll have to buy it when/if i see it. i cannot say enough how i hate kingsford. yea, i know i'm getting boring with that.

heres apparently a real dumb question... why does everyone hate Kingsford lately, I feel like I missed something. Is it cause it burns longer than anything...jk but really what? price... i have read smell, but the smell is a pleasure compared to gas grills.... im lost as ussuall and by the way I use lump as much as I can these days but def. have K on hand, enlighten me. thanks -Dan
p.s. I bought "cowboy" natural lump today for a try, what can I expect of that. thanks

I see nobody ever said anything about the Cowboy... but I bought a bag today - so if you have used it since your post, let me know what you thought of it.

Oops, sorry didn't see that your post was today - got confused and though it was one from April. Anyway, when you DO use the Cowboy, let me know what you think!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Brinkley:
I see nobody ever said anything about the Cowboy... but I bought a bag today - so if you have used it since your post, let me know what you thought of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is not well liked by many. Some say it's ok for grilling but......... The main problem with it is that it's made from lumber scraps. Many have found plywood and other undesireables in the Cowboy lump. I think it gets the worst review of any lump on the Naked Whiz web site.
Link to Nakedwhiz web site.

dan, not sure if you were familiar with the original kingsford. not bad, a bit to much ash but burned well with decent heat and longevity.
then someone there got a brilliant idea to mess with a good thing. basically giving less product for a higher price. on top of that i noticed immediately that the stuff stunk. then i noticed that it seemed to burn quicker. the next day or so i was cleaning up and noticed that the ash was very gritty almost as hard as sand. this really put me off. so i found a bag of the original stuff and found it was what we knew and loved. i went back to the new stuff and again-yuck. i went looking for alternatives and found royal oak and duraflame. to be honest i liked those better than the kingsford. so now as time passes i watched as the bags got smaller and prices really went up. others kinda followed but not like kingsford. so flash forward and this year and last we/i have noticed that kingsford seems to be kicking out the other stuff to the point that i don't get a choice. good marketing on their part but lowsy in my freedom to choose. i resent having to look high and low for something i like. now some folks think its just fine and more power to them. i just don't like that crap shoved down my throat so i chose to not buy it and to voice my opinion whenever i can. try the other stuff, compare and see for yerself.

lol I understand george, really. I freakin seen some original yesterday and already had a cart full of RO and cowboy in the truck! oh well. just curious anyway. I'll use both but in a sorta recent post I really did notice a flavor difference w/ lump so I kinda got started on that. I didn't believe it would be but was wrong again, thanks to this site. Jeff, I've just been scarred into not smoking w/ cowboy I think because of plywood chunks.... thats not cool cause i'm in construction and last I knew those panels had crap on em.. but i'll see for myself tonight and let you know, I bought it so ill use it, i give everything and honest chance. if there fully charred I guess they be fine, i'll just be a "real cowboy" and have a 'dip a chaw' as I fire em up, maybe that will help.

IMHO it's not that Kingsford is bad, there's just better alternatives out there.

As far as Cowboy lump goes I wasn't impressed with it. I didn't find any plywood or other garbage in the bag I bought (it seemed like it was mostly hardwood flooring scraps), but it burned very inconsistently.

jeff, didn't have to wait till this weekend to burn the cowboy. I used some last night and.. well..
i'm only human and, hell.. it burns, that all I cared about
icon_smile.gif
go for it baby . -Dan

well, i actually got an answer from duraflame. they told me of one store that carried their stuff and said if they didn't they would sell to me directly. kinda curiouse how much that would cost ! but first i'll check the store out.

Duraflame briquets I liked a lot but in the end they were willing to give it to me but I had to pay shipping and now days that makes it too expensive.

Jim

Back