Dumb WiFi Question

JasonB

Dumb WiFi question, presently my HM is running as a client (DHCP) on my home WiFi network. If I take the unit somewhere else what is the expected network behavior given that it cant see my home / configured SSID will it roll back to AP mode with default IP so I can connect and login and reconfigure as a client at the new location or will I need to do something else?

If it does not roll back to AP mode, and it cant see the previously configured SSID presumably it will have no IP and I will have no way to communicate with it..... well at least not via wireless. Would the Pi Ethernet still be listening on the default IP and I could go at it with a cable?

I suppose to be safe I could revert to AP mode before I leave home and then reconfigure at new location?

Last edited:
Tested by booting the HeaterMeter with Ethernet connected directly to a laptop configured with a static IP (192.168.200.2) figuring I could connect to the default wired 200.1 heatermeter IP - this did not work (it linked but thats about it).

I then plugged the Pi's lan port into a router, linked and picked up an IP from DHCP that I could access the heatermeter with and then reconfigure WiFi.

It would be nice to be able to do this over wireless somehow (pre-stage an SSID or pre-stage an AP mode interface) or with a direct connection to laptop with ethernet - I suspect both are doable, I will have to play around some more to figure it out!

Last edited:
I use 2 WiFi dongles. one set up for my Home WiFi, and one set up in AP mode. When I'm away from my WiFi signal, I can use AP without changing any settings.

There was a post a while ago where someone here just used a personal hotspot on their phone that mirrored his home network.

I tried it and it works great!! Same SSID and password always saved in there. So when I'm away I just turn it on and like magic connects right up.

Ive messed up config settings pretty bad in the past so this just works and it's easy.

Last edited:
I use 2 WiFi dongles. one set up for my Home WiFi, and one set up in AP mode. When I'm away from my WiFi signal, I can use AP without changing any settings.

Great idea, I have a Pi3 with builtin Wifi but adding a dongle is possible and would accomplish what I need. Would be nice if I could just have both AP mode configured and fall back to that if the configured SSID is not found/not connectable

- - - Updated - - -

There was a post a while ago where someone here just used a personal hotspot on their phone that mirrored his home network.

I tried it and it works great!! Same SSID and password always saved in there. So when I'm away I just turn it on and like magic connects right up.

Ive messed up config settings pretty bad in the past so this just works and it's easy.

Cant believe I did not think of that, that would work well - another good outside the box solution - THANKS!

Back