DukeTailgate

Josh S

TVWBB Member
I’ve been to many games and tailgates before but never a football game at Duke and I wasn’t sure what the scene would be like. So I left my food and equipment at home and thought I would just check it out this time. When I got there I was happy to see that in every parking lot there were large groups of fans gathered around the grills. Next time I know to bring everything-they are serious about their tailgating at Duke games.

I couldn’t believe how many Alabama fans there were that made the 12 hour drive for this game. It was pretty much known that they were going to destroy Duke. When I asked, most people said it was more about getting away with friends and tailgating for the weekend along with the fun of the game. Grilling and barbequing bring friends, family, and strangers together. That’s what it’s all about. As we walked along I would stop and take a few pictures of their setup and food and almost always we were offered to “take a taste”,” try some”, or “come join us”. We were completely stuffed by the time the game started. Tailgating may be the only place that this happens.

SANY0226.jpg

Some nice looking shoulders on a pig cooker.
SANY0223.jpg

SANY0225.jpg

We like ours chopped in NC.
SANY0222.jpg

Oh, Sure. Thank you!!
SANY0233.jpg

These guys were hired by a group to cook for them. The chicken looks good so I got a few pics.
SANY0234.jpg

SANY0235.jpg

SANY0236.jpg

Back to the star of Q, the Pig.
SANY0227.jpg

SANY0220.jpg

SANY0221.jpg

Even though Duke got beat we had a good time.
SANY0249.jpg

SANY0259.jpg

So lets here it for tailgating and good Q!!!
SANY0258.jpg

I tailgate around 6-8 times a year during college football season, and my rule of thumb is:

"Make sure the tailgate is great", so if the game is one-sided, it's not that important.

BTW- inviting "stalkers" is commonplace at every tailgate I've been too. Meeting new folks is always interesting.

Great story. I have done more than my share of tail gating at the drag strip. One time I had a guy walk by and say man that smells good and asks to buy some food off of us. So I offer him a plate and a beer for free. He makes a plate and says man my wife is going to be pissed if I only get one for my self! I said we got plenty make two plates. Later that night after the races they stop back over just to say thank you. It was a great experince and that is the way it's supposed to be. Vince

Back