Dry Rub Ran through blender

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I made three different rubs today.

The first one I made had brown sugar in it and it turned out very lumpy. So I ran it through the blender to get rib of the lumps. It seemed like an epiphany at the time ... mix it real well, grind it well then just use a little.

It came out real nice. A little fluffy. I liked it so much I ran the other two through as well.

When I applied it to the ribs, I used much less than my usual. Just a sprinkle. We'll see how this turns out.

Anyone else run their dry rubs through a blender?

i have always put my homemade rubs into my minichopper and pulsed them for 30 seconds or so. seems to blend the ingredients together much better. i have never had a food processor, but just ordered myself one and will probably use that for rubs now.

Food processors do not usually work well for rubs --unless you are making a quantity. Do so, pulsing on and off regularly, then store whatever you are not needing in vac packs or the freezer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Food processors do not usually work well for rubs --unless you are making a quantity. Do so, pulsing on and off regularly, then store whatever you are not needing in vac packs or the freezer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree, especially depending on the size of the FP.

I use a cheap hand /immersion blender. I works very well because you can move it around to grind up the spices that may not get touched by a traditional blender or food processor. Just make sure to use a deep vessel to do the blending.

I'll use my dedicated (spice) coffee grinder for some rubs, especially when I need to grind a larger amount of peppercorns, etc.

Paul

Back