dry ribs

Scott Hoofman

TVWBB Super Fan
I could probably figure this out myself, but I really would like to hear what exeperience everyone else has had, and save myself some time and money in the process. My butcher, whom I love to death, gets these great spares. A lot of times I'm right there when the truck pulls up on wed. The problem with them though is that they are so lean that they have very little fat on them. When I smoked them with my old char-broil they always came out a little dry, which I blamed on just having crappy equipment. But, now I've done them three times with the wsm and I am still having the same problem. I used the 3-2-1 method this last time, foiled for the two middle hours (heavily resprayed with apple juice), then unfoiled, resprayed with juice and back on the smoker for about 45 minutes. Then refoiled and rested for about 1/2 hr. I started basting with apple juice at 3 hours. Lid temp stayed between 240 to 250 for the whole cook. At the 3 hour mark, when i foiled them, I noticed that the tips were already looking dry. What to do?

This may be a silly question ... but how do you actually lay them out on the grill?

The first time I did ribs (BB's), I smoked them as full racks and the ends dried out (had a "hammy taste").

I now think this was because of the higher temperatures around the edges of the WSM. My last smoke, I cut the racks in half, used a rib rack, and experienced no drying.

I did a twist test at the three hour mark, and they didn't want to pull away from the bones too much, after that I pretty much went with time. Probably a mistake.

I rolled them, per the britu recipe, during the first three hours. During the time they were foiled them, I laid them flat. Two on the top rack and one on the bottom. Then after unfoiling, laid them flat again.

I've been thinking about a rib rack, just haven't made the decision to get one yet. I might have to.

Various levels of fat means various cooking times. If you're cooking a particularly lean slab it is not going to cook the same as a 'typical' slab, nor as one that's particularly fatty. I do not think a clock works for Q, especially ribs. It offers a possible guideline, but you have to test them (use a toothpick).

You have more leeway with fattier cuts (think butts or brisket points), less with lean cuts (think brisket flats, flanks); the line is finer with leaner cuts. If your ribs were devoid of fat to begin with, the line would be vanishingly small. If your butcher's product is consistent, I'd recommend trying again--I'd try longer out of foil at the outset, shorter in the foil with your juice--and test with a toothpick. You can insert it right into the foil. When tender--and they should be at some point, unwrap and cook them just for a bit, 30 min say, to firm up a little. If you can nail it, and I think you can, and if his product is consistent, you'll be able to follow pretty much that procedure each time you cook them, other things (fuel, temp) being roughly equal.

Please do.

Without seeing what you're working with (thickness and feel) it's a little hard to say (Jim Minion might have additional insight here--hopefully he'll see your post). You can also try doing two slabs at once with two approaches to the length of time before foiling--I think you'll be able to get a good idea of how you need to handle things as you go, and as you compare the two.

Scott
Try dropping pit temp to 230 to 240. Cook until they get good color. At that point foil and add about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of apple juice. Your only going to need about 45 min to 1 hour in the foil.
Test using the toothpick as Kevin discribed. When tender remove from foil and place back on the grate long enought to set a glaze or spray.
Jim

Thanks jim. I'll do that. I'm smoking a butt next, but after that its back to the ribs. I'll let you know how it all worked out.
I guess I need to enter the 21st century and get a digital camera so I can post some pictures.

If you're cooking at 240-250 lid, my guess is you are already cooking 225-235 pit. Is that the grate temp you run?
(Btw, still need a camera myself.)

I usually cut my slabs in half. If they appear to be extra lean I give them a light coat of oil before putting the rub on. Maybe giving them a light slather of mustard before rubbing would help retain moisture.

Steve, The oil sounds like a good idea. I'll do that next time. And Kevin, I've never checked the grate temp, from what I've read here, I just assumed the grate temp would run 10 -20 degrees lower then the lid temp. So, if I ran the lid temp at 240 - 250 I would be in my target range for the grate temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just assumed the grate temp would run 10 -20 degrees lower </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would assume the same.

Ahhh! Found part of, if not all, of the problem. I was going to do a butt this week, but decided to do more ribs and follow the advice I got on this post. Followed the same method, except for oiling the ribs. Checked at the 2 hour mark, and the tips were looking a little black. My probe said I was running about 220 at the lid. I got a little curious, and dug out a oven temp. guage that I often use when baking. It had me running at about 270. I went and put my probe in some boiling water, and lo and behold, it didn't go over 150. Tossed that puppy, clamped down on the heat until I got it down to the 220 - 30 range, foiled them with about 1/4 cup apple juice, for two hours, then 45 minutes back in the smoker. The ribs came out great. Wife says they were the best so far. Thanks for all the great advice. I think that I'll keep oiling the ribs due to their leaness. That seemed to really help. I think I need to buy one of those et-73's

Back