Dry Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

I've heard several references over the past couple o' days 'bout using an empty water pan to get a higher temp. I did some thighs over the weekend and had a hard time getting up over 285 with a Brinkman water pan 3/4 full. I was hoping to get to 300, but never could hold it there.

Will the pans hold up to the heat when empty?

It's not a problem. It's a wonder you got to 285 with a Brinkmann pan full. Just line the standard pan with foil to catch the drippings and facilitate clean-up, and you'll have no problem reaching 300-350*. Remember the Brinkmann pan is a charcoal pan, really.

Rick

When they say empty, foiled lined pan, some are talking about wraping the outside and inside of the pan with foil. I use the wide, HD foil and only wrap the inside. Be sure to get it over the slight lip of the WSM pan. That pan would be preferrable to wrap bcause it is smaller and can be done with one sheet. I've never understood why someone would want to wrap the outside, but to each his own.

This will definitely solve your problem of not having high enough temp for your chicken. Remember, however, it will cook much faster.

Paul

Yeah, what Paul said. When I say "empty pan" I am assuming the standard Weber water pan foiled on top with a single sheet of foil (don't piece 2 sheets together or drippings will "wick" out and into the fire).

It's not possible to foil the Brinkman pan with a single sheet of foil...you would only use it with straight water.

When I do butt can chickens, I use a dry pan. I foil the WSM water pan, because there is no need for water, hence the smaller pan. If I'm using the top rack only, I place the bottom rack in anyway and place the empty water pan on it. This gives you more room when you open the door to add more fuel. Any time I just use the top rack, I put the water pan on the second rack and if I need water, I just add it when I lift the lid to spray my meat.

Paul,
Wrapping the outside of the pan helps with clean up.

Rath *hopes to break the habit of cleaning the WSM after each cook*

Rath

Only if you see a need to clean the outside of a waterpan.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Paul,
LOL!! You don't live with my Wife. She has OCD. Obsessive Cleaning Disorder. Plus, my WSM is still brand new. Kinda like to keep the new car smell awhile....

Don C. *loves his wife*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Only if you see a need to clean the outside of a waterpan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me! I spent 3 years developing the bark (that's what it is, right?) on the outside of my Brinkmann pan, before I ever used it in the WSM. I'm not about to try to scrub it off.
icon_wink.gif

I agree with ya there. Maybe the WSM doesn't need seasoned but I prefer everything with a good layer of grease and smoke on it! I did find the vents, lid, and bottom form a much better seal after they get good and gunked up with smoke and grease. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back