Dry brining whole chicken for rotisserie

I've never done a rotisserie chicken but I always dry brine my turkey now - whether I'm smoking it, cooking it in the PBC,
or roasting it in the oven. Not for 24 hours, though. I usually do overnight for a regular size turkey, so maybe 12-14 hours.

It makes a big difference IMO.

I’ve never done this. Kosher salt on the bird for 24 hours. I’m curious to see if others do this and if it’s a plus.
Thanks.
Google AI and I fully agree with the plan:

The recommended amount of salt for dry brining chicken is 1.5% salt by weight, or about 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of meat. The amount of salt used depends on the cut of chicken:

• Whole chicken: Use about 1 teaspoon of salt per pound

• Bone-in, skin-on cuts: Use about 3/4 teaspoon of salt per pound

• Boneless, skinless cuts: Use about 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pound

Here are some tips for dry brining chicken:

• Use kosher salt, which is less salty than table salt

• Pat the chicken dry before salting

• Salt the chicken on both sides and in the cavity

• Place the salted chicken in the refrigerator after salting

• There's no need to rinse the chicken before cooking

i use 1.5% by weight when dry brining and 5% salinity when wet brining (in water or other concoction of liquids).

the key is fully exposed to air dry in the fridge at least overnight for the bird (fowl). 24 hours is my goto if I have planned enough time.

the skin will look mottled and dry. this is what you want. the skin will crisp up nicely when cooked.

I almost always dry brine chicken, except when it's going on the rotisserie. I find rotisserie chicken to be plenty moist and flavorful without it. Others may find it improves the bird but I'm not one to fix things if they aren't broken ;)

You can also separate the skin from the chicken with your hand/fingers and apply the salt and/or seasonings under the skin. Use the Asian method of pouring boiling water over the skin to render the fat that is under the skin just before roasting. Season the skin well after doing the rendering. My wife loves the skin prepared this way.

I use a beer can chicken stand in the fridge to keep the chicken off the pan or plate while brining.

Last edited:
I have been wet brining chicken & pork for years with good success. A ratio of 1/2 cup of kosher salt & 1/2 cup of sugar to 1 gallon of water, pretty much the standard for wet brining. Chicken can go 24 hours or more if needed. I just bought a bird & will wet brine it as well as spinning it over an open wood fire on this extended holiday weekend.

Definitely rack. I lay down foil in a sheet pan, then some papers towels, then the rack. I basically only dry brine these days. Also, imo, leave the chicken uncovered in fridge.

Back