Drippings Question

Joseph Flannery

Howdy all,

First I just want to thank everyone associated with this site and the forum. You've all made my first year with my WSM much easier.

My question is do any of you see any problem with putting a tray full of baked beans below meat that is cooking? I've tried it when I was cooked beef ribs one time and really enjoyed the output. I was wondering if there were any health concerns taht I should be thinking about with the fat coming off of the meat and joining the set of beans?

Thanks in advance,

Howdy Joseph, I put trays of beans under butt's and brisket all the time. Yes it does add a little more fat to the beans but i don't worry about it. Alot of the fat is rendered out of the meat when i put mine in for a couple or 4 hrs. I have to agree about the great end result, fat=flavor.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks. That is what I thought.

I just found out that my wife is pregnant with our first and oddly enough she is craving BBQ (which is rare). Just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to poison her with some form of cross contamination.

So I get to be a dad and get more BBQ the next few months. This year is looking to be pretty good!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joseph Flannery:
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to poison her with some form of cross contamination. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Beef or pork is OK. Never poultry.

and I think if you really want to be safe, you can wait an hour or so after you put in the pork or beef to put the beans underneath. That way the meat above is already cooked, so you run no risk of drippings with a bit of cross contamination from some uncooked meat.

Anyhow, not sure that is necessary, but I know that my wife when pregnant wants me to be ridiculously careful.

good luck and congrats! I've got 3 little girls under 4 years old. crazy, but great.

- adam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just found out that my wife is pregnant with our first... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Congrats! Our first is 3 1/2 months now and let me tell you, if you can shake loose enough time to Q, more power to ya! Let's just say we've eaten a lot of takeout lately. Granted, our boy has had some reflux issues (which translates into lots of crying - from baby and Mom, and Dad's about to start looking for a support group) but even with just the normal stuff going on I've only had the chance to do one cook so far this spring.

Beans under Butts - a wonderous combination. Like Bryan, I regularly cook beans under my pork butts. I just wait for the last 6 or so hours of the cook to add them to the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Granted, our boy has had some reflux issues (which translates into lots of crying - from baby and Mom, and Dad's about to start looking for a support group) but even with just the normal stuff going on I've only had the chance to do one cook so far this spring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kirk... This is your support group! My first just turned two years old last Sunday, and let me tell you...She was good training for me handling those overnight cooks!
icon_eek.gif

Finally started sleeping through the night (8 hrs plus)around 15 months. But when I do the overnight cooks now, the lack of sleep is a piece of cake. Although using the WSM makes most smokes easy.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back