Drip Pan Rail Screws

In defense of Ed, some do not have that ability. For instance there are a few of the HF ones that are one speed click on triggers. So it's an all or nothing. I personally would not buy one because of that. My large impacts are Bosch and work very well

Good info Larry. Yah, with bolts like the ones on the cook boxes, you need to take it real easy and let the hammer mechanism do it's job or you will simply twist them off. That is where the variable function comes in. My cordless craftsman is a perfect size and power for grill stuff. It certainly won't remove a lug nut, but for small, 1/2" and under nuts and bolts, it does well. Plenty of control in the lower power range.

In defense of Ed, some do not have that ability. For instance there are a few of the HF ones that are one speed click on triggers. So it's an all or nothing. I personally would not buy one because of that. My large impacts are Bosch and work very well
Thanks, Larry. It's an all-or-nothing deal as far as torque goes with my impact driver...I can control the speed, but not the torque, which doesn't make much sense but it's a lifetime warranty including the batteries and the replacement batteries cost almost as much as a new set.

Bruce, if you could give me the model # of your Craftsman, I will buy one. I'm a tool guy and now I want one.

Last edited:
Here is mine. It is older and I think they are on a newer version now, but I was unaware these things cost so much. I got this at an auction about 5 years ago for $10.

IMG_0001.JPG

Bruce, man, I almost don't have the heart to tell you this. You can vary the speed, you can vary the number of blows per minute, but you can't vary the torque. Hey. it works for you, and that's all that matters. I haven't found a cordless impact driver yet where I can vary the torque like I can with my air tools...and my cordless drill.

1602540864516.png

There is really no way to control torque on an impact tool. Because the torque is a function of how many blows the hammers apply to the anvils and how hard those blows are applied (speed of the tool). I am out of practice now but I used to be able to get my lug nuts for example almost dead right without relying on a torque wrench

Larry, all I said was that my impact driver doesn't have a variable torque setting but my cordless drill does. I'm still trying to figure out what set you off over that statement. It's true. It says so, right in the manual.

1602542757947.png

But then we go off in the weeds over clutches and anvils and whatnot and I just don't know how we got there from here.

OK, torque probably wasn't the right word. It does vary the speed and number of blows which increases the force to make the bolt turn. Basically, the more I press the trigger, the more force being applied to make the bolt turn.

Larry, all I said was that my impact driver doesn't have a variable torque setting but my cordless drill does. I'm still trying to figure out what set you off over that statement. It's true. It says so, right in the manual.

View attachment 15947

But then we go off in the weeds over clutches and anvils and whatnot and I just don't know how we got there from here.
I was responding to Bruce's question so I am puzzled as to why you think I am "set off".

Back