Double Turkey

G

Im new to posting , but I have been lingering around for a long time. I learned about this web site a few years ago from Teddy Bear Haskins up in Washington.
Any way I have a question.
I have aquired a small reputation around my office with my BBQ, and now I have been sort of volunteerd to smoke 2 turkey's in my WSM. I am planning to use the self basting type about 12 to 14 lbs.
Has anybody out there done two at a time? How about temps I have been reading, and everything points to 325 - 350?

Thanks

I can't think of a reason it could not be done, put the smaller of the two turkeys on the grate. 350 should be a good pit temp.

Jim

TVWB Turkey Thread

I haven't done 2 birds at a time, but I generally double up on my cooks. Last time, I had some home made sausage keep the bird company.

Per the Turkey thread, your indicated temps are spot on.

I smoked two turkeys for Thanksgiving. It took around 4.5 hours. I went for 350 temps as well. 165 in the breast.

I did two 13.5lb self baster's for thanksgiving. Cooked at 325-350, just like you said.
Turned out fine - mine only took around 3.5hrs.
Skin wasn't great, but meat was perfect.
Used Tony C's on one bird, and the "Chicky Rub" on the other.

Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
I can't think of a reason it could not be done, put the smaller of the two turkeys on the grate. 350 should be a good pit temp.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree, No different than putting a butt on the top grate with a brisket below. As Jim said put the smaller one on the top grate since that one will finish first. The only thing I would do is make sure you don't line them up the same. Have them sit in the WSM 1/4 turn from one another for good air flow and heat movement.

I did 2 at once this past thanksgiving. Each one was about 13 pounds.

They came out great! The only difficult part is making sure you can accurately check the temp of the one in the bottom grate. Make sure you have easy access to it through the firepit door so you can check the temp in a couple of different places. I found out that my bird on the bottom rack was done about 15 minutes before the top one was done.

Personally I'd get natural birds & brine them youself, but it'll still be good with the self basting ones.

Here's a pic of both of them in the WSM at the same time.

http://gallery.skerrett.net/main.php?g2_itemId=769

Thanks for the help, I will take a few pics and post when Im done.

Back