Door Upside-down for HH Brisket?

Curt

TVWBB Fan
So I'm doing my first HH brisket today, and so far so good on keeping the temp up with just the vents wide open.
However, should I need to prop the door open, I have a problem.
Seems my 22.5 WSM has an arch at the top of the opening, which means there's no way for me to secure the tab from the door.
As anyone found a way to overcome this logistical obstacle?

I have an older WSM 18". I always keep the door upside down, if I need more heat, I prop i open with cheap tongs that have teeth on them. It gives you some adjustment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmfast:
I have an older WSM 18". I always keep the door upside down, if I need more heat, I prop i open with cheap tongs that have teeth on them. It gives you some adjustment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understood, but with an arched top for the opening, there's no way to secure the door tab...

No worries, just crack/ offset the dome lid a little. I have the same door on my new 22.5 WSM as well. Works perfectly!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
No worries, just crack/ offset the dome lid a little. I have the same door on my new 22.5 WSM as well. Works perfectly! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweet, I'll give that a shot.
I had to play around a bit, especially once I realized that the knob for the door was stripped, so I had to moderate temp with the vents and the dome, since the door was no longer on!

Well, I ended up just leaving the door off completely. It ended up fabulous. I now know exactly what it means for a fork to slide into meat as though it's butter!

Back