Door Prop Mod W/Pics

This looks like a great idea. I'm going to mod one of mine up with this. It looks like you can, but just to double check - can you still use the door right side up?

Indeed you can use it in either direction... I keep mine upside down in any case though, but I just tried and the door don't care!

So I finally got my real good tryout of the door prop mod and it was not even a high heat cook. But, it worked wonderful in getting my minion method up a bit faster than I usually get. After my 7 hour rib cook at 230-240 all day, I removed the ribs, opened all vents to 100% and the door at a half an inch. It ran for another 3 hours at 350 with this setting. I guess I could have put on a couple of beer butts or some bok choy!

So far I am very pleased! Thinking next time I will try some ABT's during the rest.

One thing I noticed right off the bat... Usually, in my VAST in-experience, I learned that it is true that looking is not cooking! Or in other words, you are adding at least 15-20 minutes to the cook every time you open the lid. It would usually take me 20 minutes or so to get back up to my set-point every time I opened the dome, and I am NOT a peeker by any means... In fact, I have pretty much over cooked everything to date!

Not so any more. Smoker at 235, open lid and steal meat, throw on sausage, dome back down to 205 or so. Replace lid, crack door a 1/4", 4 minutes close, back up to 235 and climbing in less than 5 minutes and I didn't have to re-adjust any vent settings that I had set so well to maintain the 235 in the first place... So I figure all back to normal in 5 minutes, this will allow me to steal much more meat!

Not too bad...

Im in, Just added the screws, I might even add two nuts on the end of the screw locked togeather, just to make sure the wind or anything doesnt pull the door all the way past the end of the screw.

hard to explain, but simple if you think about it, just locking two nuts togeather to make sure they dont move from the end.

I know exactly what you mean... This would work just as you intend. I have found that the door is very solid though without any stops, but it certainly wont hurt!

I love this mod! Thanks for it Lonnie. Very simple and effective! Cooked two briskets today at high heat (325-350) and the door prop mod came in very handy. Briskets were fantastic, by the way.

All the best,
Tom

Great my friend! I am glad it is working out! It's funny as I have no other high heat experience other than with this mod. I did my first high heat using it...

Nice tidy mod Lonnie..and adjustable too
icon_wink.gif
Great use description too Todd...

I did this mod today, along with finally installng Guru eyelets. I like using the door upside down as a vent on high heat cooks but I was always struggling keeping it propped open the right amount. This is av slick mod, looks professional too. Going to do some jerky tomorrow and then crank it up for some wings..... thanks for the idea!

Thanks fellas!

I don't know if this mod would work on the new style WSM's, but I have had very many great cooks using this mod now and I LOVE it!

OK,next time I get by Lowes or HD,I'm gonna get some SS nuts and bolts. Don't do much HH with the WSM,but looks great for bringing the temps back up.

Ok,I've had the hardware for a few weeks now,but the missus wants a turkey breast done for monday. I'm gonna do the mod today and do the t breast after I do an overnight phil-b-que for tomorrow. I'll let y'alll know how it turns out.

I know this is an old thread, but. I want to make a door opening mechanism that will allow me to close the door completely, quickly, if I want to. This method seems to require at least a screw driver and wrench to adjust the screws holding the door open, and then impossible to close door completely. Perhaps some of you have worked out the solution or am I missing something?

MK.you put the bolts up high enough so the "top" of the lid will rest on the bolts. Then if you need to close the door,you just pick the door up about an 1/8th of an inch and shut it. Use the latch to keep it shut. You can also use the threads of the bolt to make smaller adjustments if needed. Easy peasy!

I did this mod last year just like Lonnie lays it out and it works great. Dont need to open door very often but when I need the extra heat it works great.

Thanks to all and especially to Lonnie! I read about this mod last year and intended to do it, but forgot -- so my "last" 18.5 mod (extensions on the bottom section to hold the lid in place for grilling) was done about two months ago. Since then, let's see: Last week I add a new grate and charcoal holders so now I have a really NICE charcoal grill when wanted. Today I added 1" bolts to hold the legs so my new grate won't fall down when least desired. And now I'm about to add these bolts as my "last" mod.

Fortunately, I had the bolts as "spares" in my shop, so it's just a quick transfer of location.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

I had to come back and bump this thread again -- this mod has been SO GOOD and SO SUCCESSFUL! I think this should be incorporated into the standard design of the WSM. I've taken special advantage of this "lid prop" now with both a brisket and a pork shoulder and on both cooks it was fantastic to help manage temps. (I've been playing around with different charcoals, so each cook has been something of a learning experience.) I found myself as normal adjusting the vents with some success, but several times I just got frustrated because I couldn't keep the WSM temp stable. So at times I was using the vents and at times I remembered to the "lid prop". In the end, it finally sunk in that the "lid prop" was 100% effective, faster, and easier to moderate. (BTW, most often about a 1/4" gap is right -- set it and wait, you'll be rewarded with a hotter fire.)

One of my beefs with it at first was that trying to get to the charcoal (or even check the burn), I had to remove the door instead of just opening it "hinged" at the bottom as normal. I finally realized that I could just pull the upside down door out enough to clear the bolts and let the door slide down (still engaged by the door tabs) to view the coals or adjust them (one of the new charcoals seemed to ash a lot though not as much as K).

So now I find the "lid prop" not only useful but actually more convenient than the door used in it's upright position (it doesn't fall out with a slight bump). Anyway, try this mod -- you gotta fall in love with it.

Rich

Back