Door Fell off my Summit 650. Any idea how to source this part?

BrianD_FL

Went to use my grill this weekend and the right door fell off as i opened it. The top spring loaded pin fell into the door. In order to get to it i had to drill out the rivets on the back of the door. I am not sure if I can either put it back on some how or get a replacement part. Attached are pics of the part. I just sent the pictures to weber to see if there is anything they can do but the grill is 15 years old. The broken piece appears to be metal. I may try to tap it out from the other side and then see if I can get a screw to hold it into place. If that doesn't work I am thinking I might be able to take the control panel off to get to the hole on the grill and place a screw in there and just bolt it on permanently. I'm replacing the rivets with bolts so i can get inside the door whenever i need to.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0825.jpeg
    IMG_0825.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0824.jpeg
    IMG_0824.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 17
I know I've seen threads on here about that same problem, but of course can't remember exactly what the fix ended up being. Hopefully Weber at least has the necessary parts in stock to fix this.

Hi Brian,

Does the part with the spring still work? If it does use 2 L brackets - 1 on the horizontal door rail and 1 on the vertical rail. Those should hold them tight in the corner. Fasten with pop rivets or Counter sunk screws.

Finding a donor Summit 650 grill to steal a door off of would be tough, but you might want to look into a Genesis from the same era that employs those same type of door hinges. Weber has a habit of using some parts across different grill line ups.

Otherwise, it looks like the hinge pin unit just needs to be tack welded back into place.

Hi Brian,

Does the part with the spring still work? If it does use 2 L brackets - 1 on the horizontal door rail and 1 on the vertical rail. Those should hold them tight in the corner. Fasten with pop rivets or Counter sunk screws.
The spring does still work. that's an idea. I appreciate the suggestions. ill let you know what the end results is, still waiting on word from weber

Thanks was that a pert you were able to source from weber or did you have to take it off of another door. Didn't get an email back from weber today. I will call tomorrow.

thank you. Weber was unable to get me a replacement for the door parts as i figured. i also questioned him about some rust i was seeing to find out only the aluminum shroud is still under warranty. for some reason i thought i had 15-25 years on most of these parts. anyways ill go about repairing it myself. i planned on taking it apart and cleaning it real well this weekend anyways

update to this post.
I was able drill the broken screw out and went to Ace to get a stainless steel screw. i am also using heavy duty double sided tape to hold it into place. I sanded the back side of the door last week and I am painting it today using galvanized spray paint. Not really liking the color, went with bright gray which is silver but it will do. Ill post a pic when that is finished. i need to do some maintenance on this grill before it gets to far to fix.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0967.jpeg
    IMG_0967.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 6

Back