Don't bother resting your meat?

i would think that thin stuff like ribs probably don't need it unless you are usng the rest period as a cooking process.
thick pieces i will continue resting. not only as part of the cooking process(carry over) but from my experiance.
no, i doubt its a meat killer thing but hey, why waste a good thing, an ounce is an ounce !

Yes, rest meat. He's wrong about this.

You rest meat primarily to let the proteins relax. Eating a steak after a rest is a much better experience and you won't care about any % of "juice loss". Resting larger cuts is also important.

I'm thankful for his work but sometimes Meathead is really, really annoying.

If that is true, why do places like Ruth's Chris serve your steak right from the grill on a heated "sizzling" plate?

You know sometimes I think people like him just write to be provocative and generate more attention to their website. I have read a lot of his articles and I used some of his rubs but we are all entitled to our own opinion. His view on Beer Can Chicken is another example. He is entitled to his opinion but that does not mean he always correct or that his opinion is the only approach to a method.

If that is true, why do places like Ruth's Chris serve your steak right from the grill on a heated "sizzling" plate?

The meat isn't cooked on the plate. I believe it's rested and served on a hot plate for effect and to keep it warm.

This is easy to test. Cut a steak in two, eat one piece right off the grill and the other 10 minutes later. I've experienced the results.

He is clearly wrong on brisket. I'd leave a comment on his page telling him so, but I don't want to bother signing up for his website.

I don't purposely rest my grilled steaks, but I don't eat them within seconds of taking them off the grill either. Usually after fishing up other sides, getting the rest of the table dished up, I'd say I eat the steaks within 10-15 mins of coming off the grill. Never had any complaints on juiciness.

Well good for the Meathead, glad his method works for him. As for me, I'm sticking with resting, beer can chicken, banking my coals on both sides, (and the list goes on) because they not only work for me, but none of my work colleagues, friends, or family has ever complained about my BBQ except for when it runs out.

He is clearly wrong on brisket. I'd leave a comment on his page telling him so, but I don't want to bother signing up for his website.

I don't purposely rest my grilled steaks, but I don't eat them within seconds of taking them off the grill either. Usually after fishing up other sides, getting the rest of the table dished up, I'd say I eat the steaks within 10-15 mins of coming off the grill. Never had any complaints on juiciness.

Same here. If resting a steak means setting it to the side as I finish up the other sides, then I guess I rest steaks too;)

Well good for the Meathead, glad his method works for him. As for me, I'm sticking with resting, beer can chicken, banking my coals on both sides, (and the list goes on) because they not only work for me, but none of my work colleagues, friends, or family has ever complained about my BBQ except for when it runs out.

Chad, if getting folks to like your BBQ was a chore, I'd think it highly unlikely you'd be frequenting any BBQ boards. Right? The obsession of making the meat mo' bette' is what fuels our fires. To get better, you learn new ideas, test them, and either reject or accept....but more often incorporate with a twist or modifications.

But do I agree with all of Meathead's ideas? Of course not, but he knows food science a lot more than myself, and I respect what he's presented on his site. For instance, I'm not down with caramelizing glazed ribs over the coals on a grill as he suggests, or raising up the coal bed to give ribeyes a super-charred reverse sear, (which I think results as a bitter sear). But I am a fan of banking coals to one side of the grill, though. Best way to smoke some ribs on a kettle there is. Period. And even Jamie Purvience said that Meathead's reverse-seared steak tasted better in a steak challenge between the two. I know the best steak that ever came off my grill was inspired by Meathead's zeal for presenting the reverse sear. Everyone usually has something of value to contribute, and sometimes folks are too quick to dismiss ideas, like resting meat. I get that. I'm also rather cynical by nature, so it's often hard for me to read or listen to some ideas with an open mind. The topic of resting meat is kind of hard to decipher though, because one man's resting is another man's way to finish cooking.

Respectfully,
Dave

I think the funny thing about bbq is that we all have our methods and beliefs and we dont always like it when someone challenges those methods, even if with science. I think one of the posters above got it partially right saying that this guy writes things for attention ............. but if you have a website, you need attention. But I also think that he writes provocative headings or statements to get your feathers ruffled but if you read the rest, it is not as harsh as you may think. For instance he shows that more liquid might be lost but you may also loose crunchiness of the crust or heat of the food. Or you may heat past your desired temp. All trade offs that we get to decide for ourselves what works best for us. In other words, I dont think he has said anything incorrect, just different from our opinions maybe.

Here is the way I see it. I have always been told you are supposed to rest the meat. This guy challenges that theory. I dont actually "know" what is right, I only know what I've heard. If I really want to know for myself, I need to do my own experiment. That's really the only way, right? And even then, it is no longer science but rather which method I like better, which is more important anyway.

So I dont see the article as right or wrong but rather thought provoking and another possible idea to make me a better cook ............. or not. In fact, the most important statement in the article basically says that cooking the meat to the right temp is the most important part no matter what else you do. None of us could disagree with that.

That said, I agree completely with him on beer can chicken. In fact, this is definitely not the first article I've read on the subject. But I have found from personal experience that I prefer the unmolested bird. I am able to get more flavor to the inside of the bird whether it is vertical or split. That doesnt mean I wont do a beer can chicken or that no one should. It is still fun to do when you have people over but I firmly believe other methods are better and have never bought into the "adds moisture" thing.

I like science applied to cooking. For instance, one rests his steak, one cuts it right away. I've done both and there's still jucie's running around the plate. As meathead says, use that as a sauce for the meat, capture it whether or not you rest the steak or not. It is obvious that several comments have not read his complete page on rests, as he clearly states that resting bigger pieces of meat is good for other reasons. I think way too many opinions become fact after a long use......I've also begun doing reverse sear on steaks and tenderloin's and it makes a world of difference.

He shows at least three different studies by others, not just his opinion, that supports the no rest method........................d

I think the funny thing about bbq is that we all have our methods and beliefs and we dont always like it when someone challenges those methods, even if with science. I think one of the posters above got it partially right saying that this guy writes things for attention ............. but if you have a website, you need attention. But I also think that he writes provocative headings or statements to get your feathers ruffled but if you read the rest, it is not as harsh as you may think. For instance he shows that more liquid might be lost but you may also loose crunchiness of the crust or heat of the food. Or you may heat past your desired temp. All trade offs that we get to decide for ourselves what works best for us. In other words, I dont think he has said anything incorrect, just different from our opinions maybe.

Here is the way I see it. I have always been told you are supposed to rest the meat. This guy challenges that theory. I dont actually "know" what is right, I only know what I've heard. If I really want to know for myself, I need to do my own experiment. That's really the only way, right? And even then, it is no longer science but rather which method I like better, which is more important anyway.

So I dont see the article as right or wrong but rather thought provoking and another possible idea to make me a better cook ............. or not. In fact, the most important statement in the article basically says that cooking the meat to the right temp is the most important part no matter what else you do. None of us could disagree with that.

That said, I agree completely with him on beer can chicken. In fact, this is definitely not the first article I've read on the subject. But I have found from personal experience that I prefer the unmolested bird. I am able to get more flavor to the inside of the bird whether it is vertical or split. That doesnt mean I wont do a beer can chicken or that no one should. It is still fun to do when you have people over but I firmly believe other methods are better and have never bought into the "adds moisture" thing.

VERY well said, Daryl. I couldn't agree more....but you mean you don't spatch-cock your chickens?! Dang, man. What are you thinking?!!!! Just kidding. :p

Just to throw this in...Meathead made the effort to understand and spread the truth about the stall in bbq. That's a pretty big deal and it still amazes me that it took that long to understand it.

But he's simply wrong here.

Just to throw this in...Meathead made the effort to understand and spread the truth about the stall in bbq. That's a pretty big deal and it still amazes me that it took that long to understand it.

But he's simply wrong here.

I'll insist on a rest for a rib roast, tri-tip, brisket, etc...but if the Missus wants her steak hot, and wants it now, I know better....and it doesn't matter whether Meathead's right or wrong. ;)

I usually let my steaks or chops relax in the micro or oven (off) while we finish setting the table. I never timed it maybe 5 mins tops. Roasts always get a rest and no way would I attempt to carve a turkey without at least a 20 min rest.. Too hot to handle.:)

Tim

It's an interesting theory that Meathead has proposed. Someone tried to call BS on Alton Brown for his turkey brine recipe this past Thanksgiving. I tried to find the article but cannot. The same principal is in play here though. Scientifically there may be no value to resting your meat or brining your meat. However the process of doing this can and will add flavor or the expected texture that you are looking for when smoking/grilling
I love reading these articles and used to jump on the bandwagon if it was from someone I respected but I've found that I just do what works for me.

Back