Doing pulled pork for a party today, a couple quick questions

Mark Orth

TVWBB Member
First more praise for the SMC. I needed to smoke overnight. Started around 11, planned to wake up around 3:30 to check everything but I slept through the alarm. Woke up at 6:30, scared to death, only to find my temp right at 250 with no issues.

Second, I had 2 butts on there, 17lbs total. Smaller one hit 190 and came off around 11. Larger one doesn't seem to want to get past 180. Should I keep it on a little longer or wrap it up and put it in the cooler?

Lastly, I love the glaze I put on my ribs and usually make some up to use with the PP. Since I can't trust the people at this party to use this instead of, say, Kraft, I'd like to mix the glaze in with the PP and serve it that way. What say you?

Thanks!

what i've learned in my lifetime is that every butt is different. You should go by tenderness. Probe it with a fork or your therm....does it go in like throuhg soft butter? If so good, but 180* would indicate that you should go a little longer. I like to pull between 195 and 200.

what i've learned in my lifetime is that every butt is different. You should go by tenderness. Probe it with a fork or your therm....does it go in like throuhg soft butter? If so good, but 180* would indicate that you should go a little longer. I like to pull between 195 and 200.

It does go though like butter. I'll wait a bit longer but I'm running up against time constraints.

If you can wait, I'd suggest leaving it in there. I agree with James that every one is different. I've had the stall happen around 180, then as soon as you turn away it will shoot up to 200 in no time. Foiling usually helps, but might kill your bark. If I'm out of time, I just wrap it up tight and put it in the cooler until right before serving.

Your pork, your rules. If you don't want them to ruin your hard work by drowning it in junk sauce, say so. Putting your glaze right by the meat, and moving the junk to the other end of the table (or the trash can) usually helps.

If you can wait, I'd suggest leaving it in there. I agree with James that every one is different. I've had the stall happen around 180, then as soon as you turn away it will shoot up to 200 in no time. Foiling usually helps, but might kill your bark. If I'm out of time, I just wrap it up tight and put it in the cooler until right before serving.

Your pork, your rules. If you don't want them to ruin your hard work by drowning it in junk sauce, say so. Putting your glaze right by the meat, and moving the junk to the other end of the table (or the trash can) usually helps.

I did foil it a few minutes ago Todd. Gonna have to move it to the cooler now. Hope it's good. Smaller one pulled great. I like the way you think. ;)

Good luck Mark. Let us know how it goes. If you don't mind sharing, what sort of recipe do to use for your rib glaze? Sauces and glazes are one area of my 'que that needs a lot of work.

OK. Here I have to admit to cheating a bit. First, I like my BBQ on the sweet side, which I think is KC or Memphis style maybe? Anyway, I cooked for my BBQ guru one night and was going to make up some glaze using store bought BBQ sauce. He chided me to make my own BBQ sauce, whipped some stuff out or my fridge, pantry and went to town. It came out great and all but still, economics of movement and all that. Is it "worth it"? Then my brother turned me on to Trader Joe's TJ's Bold and Smoky KC Style BBQ Sauce. Best stuff I ever tasted. So I heat up some of that with real VT maple syrup and just mix to taste. I brush that on the ribs and let it firm up a bit. Love it. :)

EVerything went great last night. Pork was a big hit. 16 pounds gone. I guess the only downside is that I DO prefer to have my PP dry and just drizzle some glaze on it so you can taste the bark but what're you gonna do? :)

Nice job, Mark! Sitting back watching everyone devour your hard work is almost as gratifying as eating it all yourself.

I'm with you on the saucing. I rarely add sauce until it's sitting on the bun.

Back