Doing First Two Butts This Friday

Eric Lee

TVWBB Member
Friday will be the first smoke ever. My WSM 18 is brand spankin new right now. So considering it will run hotter, how much Kingsford should I use for two butts? also, I don't yet have a wind break. In the past on windy days I have taken my grill and opened the garage door and set it right out at the edge where my garage meets my drive way being sure there is nothing else near it and never had any problem. Come on some of you have done this too right? or a major no no?

No problem cooking just inside the garage as long as the door remains open and you don't mind smoking up the garage a bit. If you have a window or another exterior door open that for a little cross ventilation and move paint,paint thinners,oil and gas tanks away from your cooker. If you have an interior door leading to the house you may set off a smoke detector near it if your going in and out that way to check on the cook.

For the amount of charcoal check out the minion method

I fill up the charcoal ring when I'm doing pork butts. I use about 1/4 of a chimney (15-20 briquettes) of lit. That gives you more control because the temp climbs slower than with a half chimney of lit.

I have done what you're talking about with my kettle. I built a windbreak for the WSM because I don't want my WSM in front of the house for an overnight cook while I'm asleep. Us old codgers need some sleep even when we're cooking.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Lew is pretty much on the money with start up.

No need to oil the grates.

And don't worry about nailing a certain temp. I let mine settle in between 265 - 285 for overnight butts.

Thanks. Just curious has anyone ever brined a pork butt in apple juice in a refrigerator for a couple days?

Agree with Lew. In addition, another thought. If you are diligent about closing all vents after you are done your cook you really don't need to worry about how much fuel to put in the ring.

Here's why. You put the fire out when you are done cooking. Next day you shake things out and put the unburned fuel in a container and set aside for the next cook. You use the unburnt fuel, you don't just toss everything.

A few minutes extra step is all. I use lump exclusively for years, but I have found that this works just as well with briquettes.

So - I always load the ring to full. I minion start unless I want a really hot fire and fast ramp to high temps, say when I'm doing a roadside chicken cook or the like on the WSM.

Load the ring up, minion the start. When the cook is done close all the vents and walk away. Next morning pull/shake out the unburnt fuel and save it for the next cook. Makes things simple, and you won't run out of fuel. Well maybe on a really slow low but you can check and add coals from the side door if you need to.

As long as your temps are holding steady in the area you want them to be, then yes. It is on the strange side, but not knowing all the factors it would be hard to pick out a reason for it. Just wondering, did you check the thermometer for accuracy before the cook?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Lee:
Last question, do you guys lightly oil the racks before dropping meat down or is there no need? thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eric it's a little late for your answer but yes I do. Usually just a spray of either Canola or Olive Oil. Good Luck Today!
Rolf

Hi yes I checked thermometer it was on. What is strange? it is a beautiful day here in MN 5-10 mph winds though.

Back