Doin' 4th brisket tonite, Question ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
Popular method seems to be foiling near the end of the cook. Does this not make yalls brisket take on a "pot roastey" taste and texture? Mine seems to loose some of its smoke flavor when I foil.

I can do pretty good with pork and poultry, but brisket seems to be my nemesus!
icon_confused.gif

Jim

Brisket is the most difficult cook for me. I have found letting it go to 170 will preserve most of the smoke flavor even when you finish in foil. One trick is to use a little more smokewood than usual if you know you're going to foil and have experienced a loss of smoke flavor doing that in the past.

Paul

Jim,
First of all I am not a brisket expert. But I have done a few of them. I have never foiled to finish the cooking process. I have had excellent results smoking them until they reach 180*, then I foil it and place it in a cooler for about 2 hours. The only brisket I ever had a problem with was a "USDA Select" grade I bought from Wal-Mart. I still buy 'em from Wal-Mart but make sure they are "Choice". I know alot of peolpe do foil to finish cooking, so there must be some benefit to it. But for now I will let 'em finish on the WSM.

I've only foiled mine when I've run out of time (say, going on a 20+ hour cook and am only at 170) and had to stick it in the oven for an accelerated finish, and I've not noticed any difference in those briskets and the true blue ones that stay on the WSM until they're done, sans foil.

I always foil mine at 170. Personal preference I guess. Never had a pot roastey taste to mine and keeps good smoke flavor.

I have done them both ways. When using foil it changes the texture a little bit but i think in a good way.I agree with Greg never had pot roast texture either. If you want a firm texture don't foil. If you want more of a tender texture then foil it. Never had the lack of smoke flavor when foiling. Maybe you could try using a little more wood in the begining if foiling. Bryan
GREG,
icon_rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back