Dog Star rescue fundraiser 30 butts!

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello friends. While this smoke was not done on a Weber I wanted to share. Mostly because I my learned my craft here and am grateful I have this incredible site as a resource.

I am a founding member of Dog Star rescue in Connecticut. Of course I am in charge of feeding the masses for our biggest fundraiser, Bark N Brew held at a local brewery. Year 1 we had 190 people, year 2 I smoked 15 butts on my 4 WSMs and did 325. This year we were shooting for 500, a week out we bumped it to 600. Because of the amount of meat needed we rented a Southern Pride SPK 1000. Mike D'Andrea from Artisan grill and smoker really hooked us up. These smokers are super efficient, typically a butt smoke is about 225 for 10ish hours. Because of time constraints, we did the entire smoke in under 9 . 30 butts on by 8 at about 275, wrapped at 1:00. All off by 4:30.So tender, bark was nice even if wrapped. Pulled so easily.

We ended up getting 760 people, our team did an incredible job cranking out the food. Sold way too many veggie burgers for my liking but you need to keep the masses happy. I will post more pics as they come in but here are a few to start and video I posted on our main page.

Thanks for looking.

https://www.facebook.com/dogstarrescuect/videos/1099871360096765/

Rubbed with my Memphis rub, I send my recipe and these folks make it for me

Rubbed and ready to go

On the smoker

Really a great thing you're doing with the Dog Star rescue. A lot of work for a great cause. Barb and I have had rescue dogs for the last 35 years and help out with the United Animal Friends here in Prescott.
That besides being a lot of work had to be a lot of fun also. Great Job!

WOW! That's A LOT of meat! (and looks very tasty, too!)

How hard was it to adapt to the other smoker?

My wife and I volunteer for a Basset Hound rescue that serves WI & MN (bassetbuddiesrescue.org)
Over the past several years, we have done most of the cooking for BassetFest.
Not quite as big of a shindig as yours.
We cook-up several items, so we do not need a ton of any one item, but I usually smoke-up 4 to 6 9-pounders
(I cook them a few weeks ahead of time, freeze, and re-heat at the event.)

That's really cool about having a spice company blend-up the rub for you. Saves at least SOME of the grunt-work...

Glad to see that everything turned out terrific and people had a good time / good eats!

Eric, fantastic cook and a wonderful cause. You nailed that one BIG TIME, again fantastic job and looking forward to more pics.

Really a great thing you're doing with the Dog Star rescue. A lot of work for a great cause. Barb and I have had rescue dogs for the last 35 years and help out with the United Animal Friends here in Prescott.
That besides being a lot of work had to be a lot of fun also. Great Job!

Thank you Rich, pretty cool when you can bring your 2 passions together for a good cause. Good on you and your Wife, it can be a grind but the pay off is worth it.

WOW! That's A LOT of meat! (and looks very tasty, too!)

How hard was it to adapt to the other smoker?

My wife and I volunteer for a Basset Hound rescue that serves WI & MN (bassetbuddiesrescue.org)
Over the past several years, we have done most of the cooking for BassetFest.
Not quite as big of a shindig as yours.
We cook-up several items, so we do not need a ton of any one item, but I usually smoke-up 4 to 6 9-pounders
(I cook them a few weeks ahead of time, freeze, and re-heat at the event.)

That's really cool about having a spice company blend-up the rub for you. Saves at least SOME of the grunt-work...

Glad to see that everything turned out terrific and people had a good time / good eats!

Ron I am lucky to have a friend who has the same smoker, just smaller. I picked his brain on how he does his butts. The only curve ball was he never wraps. I ended up calling the Southern Pride company just to get their input and the fellow I spoke to never wrapped either lol. Still was able to guess about when I should check. The rig was a beast, very efficient. It has propane assist to help get up to temp then the remainder of the smoke was heated by wood. I was happy not to have to baby sit 7 or 8 different smokers plaus cleaning the next day...

The other nice thing about the rub is $$, 32 bucks for 7 lbs, If I would buy the ingredients it would have been much more.

Thank you all for the kind words, like I said before, I owe this site the world. I learned this craft here thanks to Chris and all the wonderful members that help out with advice. Bummed I am not here as much as I'd like. Still trying to find that balance to have enough time for everything. Thanks again.

Back