Does this Summit Platinum come with the cast aluminum cookbox?

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
These don't seem to be too common, especially with the stainless frame(!)

00m0m_6bb1BgioUCR_1200x900.jpg
00X0X_kqQYwgjpt6o_1200x900.jpg

00e0e_ciuqIzRcT6V_1200x900.jpg
00D0D_dnqAD52l29m_1200x900.jpg

Also, what do you guys think about the discoloration at the edge of the lid in the first picture, above the 3rd and 4th burners?

Last edited:
All Summits have a sheet metal cook box. Even this one. As for the discoloration it's simply areas where maybe there was a little flare up under the lid. IMO these Summits are "OK" but not as nice as the earlier ones. The really good thing about these models is you can still acquire the cook box for them though I don't know what they cost

I have the same one at home with a bad cookbox. It's not terrible, but definitely is compromised along the front edge. It's a shame because those stainless frames will last forever

Just to nitpick a bit, in case it comes up, the FB on that Summit is both cast aluminum and stamped steel. It's 4 parts, the sides being aluminum, the front and back being sheet metal. While it's made of 4 parts, you can't order the pieces individually. It might be possible to have someone fab a replacement front or back, or throw something together yourself.

Also, the FBs on this generation are ridiculously expensive due to the burner cross over tubes being placed in the center.

If you do run across one of those for less, like $50 or so, snag it just for the grates. They'll fit on Genny 1-5, 1000-5000's and B/C Silver and Golds.

You mean the SS grates, correct??? I am assuming the summit grills come with them standard.

You mean the SS grates, correct??? I am assuming the summit grills come with them standard.

Yes, heavy, stainless steel rod grates. And no, not all Summits came with them. haven't messed with them enough to recognize a pattern to figure out which ones did and which ones didn't.

Only early Summits (the 4XX and 6XX) series came standard with heavy rod grates. The later Summits only had them on the platinum models and BTW those grates will not fit a Genesis as the Platinum was longer front to back

I'm reasonably sure that the full size grates for the Platinum are #9930 grates. There's a grate that is smaller in width, to accommodate the use of a smoke box, the top of which sat flush with the grate on this gen. The smoke box on the previous generation of Summits sat down beneath and had a full sized grate with doors the flipped up.

Back