does sand in the pan make a difference?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T Cooper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
... I cook chops, steaks, Tris, burgers all direct, on the lower grate, over lump, with a picec of wood or 2 in there, and no water pan. HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan, is it awkward to flip burgers on the lower grate? Isn't it hard to get a spatula in there? or do you turn everything with tongs?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use both to flip, depends what I'm cooking. Yes a little awkward at first, but you adapt/adjust pretty quick, and I don't crowd the grate. I use the WSM for everything since it sits 3 feet outside my garage door. It's right there, and takes such little effort to get going. The grills are here, there and everywhere, so I just use what's in front of me.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Okay, last question from me on this - when you spatchcock a chicken is the skin side up or down?
Thanks again-
J

Originally posted by J Sutter:
Okay, last question from me on this - when you spatchcock a chicken is the skin side up or down?
Check out CA's video here
You cut out the backbone and flatten the chicken

There's only one way for you to find out. I say you ought to give em both a try. Chicken is cheap.

Yes, it's helpful to get other opinions, but in the end you ought to try for yourself (might be fun).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Okay, last question from me on this - when you spatchcock a chicken is the skin side up or down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think you are asking if you cook it skin up or skin down.

Unless you have an aversion to grill marks across the skin I'd start skin down on a clean-enough-for-you grate, oil the skin or the grate a bit before you put the bird on ... I like to flip for last bit, say about 15-30 minutes. But like Derek says, try em both and see if you notice any difference.

Back