Does anyone find any great benefit to seasoning butts the the night before coooking?

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Wow its been a couple of years since I cooked Butts and I was lucky to find Pork Butts for .99c/lb againusing a butt rub for Jane recipe. I am doing 8 out on the smoker sometime this week. Any opinions on if flavor is in any way enhanced by applying your rub 8,16 or 24 hours earlier?

Thanks

I apply the rub and inject 6 - 8 hours ahead. I often add some of the rub to the apple juice I inject. Butts are big chunks of pork and I think adding the rub ahead of time gives it time to be absorbed by the meat. The main thing is that it works for me. Enjoy

Mike

I did butts side by side where I did three and two I rubbed the night before and injected and one I did the morning of the cook. There was a discernible difference in the bark both in flavor and texture. Stronger flavor in the ones done overnight and a darker color.
The overall taste to me was great with both.
If I am doing a simple rub like just salt and pepper on something I usually just do that while the smoker is coming up.

Whenever I rub the night before, the meat "sweats" and some juices (and rub) come out, so I rerub a bit. I don't know what the effect of the juice coming from the meat actually does, but I think it helps create a better bark.

I have done all 8-16-24 hours give or take....
I prefer the 8 hour or the night before rub. It seems I get a better bark and flavor.

I have rubbed them while I get my smoker ready and the bark and flavor is that strong.

I apply the rub and inject 6 - 8 hours ahead. I often add some of the rub to the apple juice I inject. Butts are big chunks of pork and I think adding the rub ahead of time gives it time to be absorbed by the meat. The main thing is that it works for me. Enjoy

Mike

I feel the same way

we conducted an experiment - 6 butts, 2 uninjected, 2 heavily injected with apple juice, 2 heavily injected with pineapple juice. Cooked them in the same smoker. Result: no noticeable flavor/texture/juiciness difference between any of them. The biggest 2 items I have seen to make a big difference in taste and texture is A) brine it overnight. I use the brine recipe in Alton Browns Good Eats show Q. B) once you pull it off the smoker, wrap it in foil (if it isn't already) and let it sit in a cooler with towels around it for at least 3 hours. Just my .02

I have gone back and forth on this as well. I usually apply my rub the night before. This past weekend I woke up at 5:00 couldn't go back to sleep so I went and bought two 6 lb buts to smoke for a neighborhood party. I applied my rub 10 minutes before cooking and they turned out great. So I am not sure if it enhances the flavor but I sure love the entire process of a smoke which usually includes applying rub the right before.

twobutts_zps49eacc47.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

here are the two butts with ten minutes of rub.

Back