Does anyone else have this problem

Rick Body

TVWBB Pro
I am cooking a bb today. It is 4.5 lbs and I have had it on for 9 hours now and it is only at 176 degrees. Bone-in if that makes a difference. I did check the probe to see if it is too close to the bone and I also checked the calibration on the thermo last week.

I know that every piece of meat is different, but EVERYTHING I cook takes longer than normal. Butts always take more than 2 hours per lb, baby backs take 6 hours minimum. At this rate I would never be able to cook a bigger butt.

It doesnt seem right to me.

BTW, I am using a thermoworks thermo with dual probes. Today I kept the grate temp ABOVE 240 (mostly over 250) just to see if it would cook faster........NOPE

Any suggestions?

I have never done a butt or brisket without wrapping after 4-5 hours so I can't be a great deal of help. Foil wrapping will certainly help if you aren't wrapping.

I cooked a 7 and a 9 last Sat. And they were both done in about 8 hours. Cook till probe tender. I start checking at about 180 or so. I wrap when it is the color I want more so than time or temp. Try the foiling if you haven't, it will speed things up.

Rick-

The bone in if anything would cause the temps to be higher, not lower if your probe hits the bone. Could be a fuel water combo issue here but need more details. My butts with or without the shoulder blade bone takes more that 15 hours in keeping temps at at steady 225 and pulling them off at 190. Know that is long but it comes out spectacular every time.

Mike

When cookin a butt, I normally use a 2 hr per lb rule then add 2 hours for a fudge factor if cooking at 225 - 250*. However, I ALWAYS foil my butts. Some folks cook 250 - 275* (Gary Wiviott for example).

I don't want to hijack your post, but am curious what thermoworks thermo with dual probes are you using? TW8060? If so, can you give a review of it in another post? I think that's where I'm headed once the Mav craps out.

J.-- I did end up foiling it at about 185 to finish it off a little quicker. It came out great (if I do say so myself) just took a little longer than expected

M.-- I am using a clay saucer instead of water in the pan.

Dwain-- I forgot you told me last time about the 2 hour "fudge factor" doh! I will have to remember that.
The thermo is the 8060. I will do a review thread on it.

Thanks everyone for the tips

Hmm, I generally go with 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound and find that works. But there have been dramatic exceptions like the 9 lb. butt that took 19 hours. Dwain, that would fall within your guideline.

Unfortunately, this is an extremely variable cut of meat. All of mine have been 8 - 11 lbs. and I've had them come in anywhere from 10 hours to the 19. Planning for 2 hours per pound and finishing 6 or 7 hours hours early can be really inconvenient, but it seems to be the nature of the beast. At least it's also very adaptable and you can hold it for long hours if done right.

Better than having guests sitting around hungry while all you want to do is scream at a dead pig! (All right -- I admit it -- I through that in for the visual imagery. If you get desperate, feed them wings and wrap that POA (you figure it out :mad: ) in foil and boost the heat or use the oven.)

Rich

Any suggestions?

May I suggest moving the smoker probe from the grate and let it hang in the top vent.
Nothing wrong with taking temps @ grate, but you can get false readings if the probe is right next to cold meat or sitting close by the outer edge of the hot-zone.
Try it once and see if it makes a difference. Just remember temps @ top vent usually run 10-15 deg higher than top grate, so if the target is 225 look for 230-235 on the thermo.

Tim

Back