Do you trim your pork spares to St. louis or not

john enea

TVWBB Fan
I always have. I really want to cook some today but for some reason I really don't want to trim 'em. Lazy! Anyway, I assume that there is no difference in cook time. Thoughts?

Originally posted by john enea:
I always have. I really want to cook some today but for some reason I really don't want to trim 'em. Lazy! Anyway, I assume that there is no difference in cook time. Thoughts?

I am the King of lazy........sometimes I trim, other times I don't! I am actually preferring the untrimmed lately! Here's some Untrimmed Spares I did a while back.

John,I usually do BBs (that's what the missus prefers). But when I do spares,I don't trim. I guess I'm just lazy.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi john,

I always trim. I always make fresh breakfast sausage from the trim. I may save the trim for a day or two before I get around to making the sausage 'cause I'm lazy. It only takes about a minute per rack to do the actual trimming down to St. Louis-style. And, it isn't really difficult at all. Grinding and making sausage isn't difficult either. The hardest part is sanitizing the kitchen work area and the equipment used.

I grind the well chilled meat with a coarse grinding plate--having holes about 3/8ths inch or about 10 mm. I grind well chilled meat trimmings once through the grinder, add the mixed herbs and spices to the once ground meat and stir or mix the herbs and spice mixture throughout the meat until well blended and chill again. Once chilled, I grind through the coarse plate for the second time. Form into sausage patties or sausage rolls. Wrap in waxed paper and aluminum foil and refrigerate or freeze. Great sausage! Sausage recipes abound on the world wide web.

I use this recipe:

For each pound of pork, add:

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon Accent (MSG)

So, if you have 3 lbs of pork trimmings, multiply each ingredient as listed above by 3. If you have 2.5 lbs of of pork trimmings, multiply each ingredient as listed above by 2.5. Etc.

I mix the herbs and spices together and add them to pork after it has been ground once. Mix throughout the ground meat well. Chill the meat, grind a second time through the coarse plate.

Be sure to remove any bone or cartilage from the trimmings before grinding. Use the coarse grinding plate twice. Don't use a fine grinding plate. Don't use stale herbs and spices! If you have stale herbs and spices you cannot make up for the lost volatiles by adding extra of the stale herbs or spices. The precious volatiles are lost and gone forever!

Grinder_Plates_04.jpg

Grind chilled meat TWICE with the coarse grinding plate. Don't use a small grinding plate.

Coarse_Grind_01.jpg

Sausage_Patties_01.jpg

Sausage_Patties_Cooked_01.jpg

Trimming to St. Louis-style and making sausage gives you two completely different delicacies!

###

Dang DL, you've got me wanting to make sausage again. It's been several years since my last batch.

Best sausage I've ever had was on a fly-in fishing trip in Canada, back in '87.
The uncooked food was furnished, and the sausage had the best seasoning in it.
We suspected the meat was moose.

I only trim if doing for myself. When doing them for a customer, I will do the whole spare, thats what they are paying for the whole spare. And it cuts down on prep time when doing a lot of ribs. I have a order for 25 slabs for next month, I got 3 WSM so all I have to do is take off the membrane and put on WSM. I will roll these spares to put 5 on the top and bottom racks so I will only need to fire up 2 of the 3 WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by dave caston:
I have a order for 25 slabs for next month, I got 3 WSM so all I have to do is take off the membrane and put on WSM. I will roll these spares to put 5 on the top and bottom racks so I will only need to fire up 2 of the 3 WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif
5 X 2 = 10 X 2 = 20
icon_confused.gif
icon_razz.gif

I've cooked em trimmed and untrimmed, they still taste darn good. When I do trim I save the trimmings, smoke em then cut em up and toss em in a big pot of baked beans. I gotta tell you though, After looking at DL,s sausage pics I know what I'm doin next.

there is only one market within 70 miles to me that has unenhanced pork. they do not always have spares so i am forced to use the lesser baby back st louis trim a lot. i find spare ribs much much tastier than st louis trimmed. the only thing i do is trim excess fat. cant always get them but i get em when i can.

Been trimming mine now for a good while. The larger cuttings just get prepped cooked and eaten right along with the ribs. Skirt meat will often get chopped up a little and cooked in the beans!

I like the presentation better, the ribs cut up easily and things fit really nicely on the grates. Other than that, I don't think the results are any different between trimmed an untrimmed. There may be more overall even finish, but not in a big way.

I typically don't make BB's the St. Louis cut provides the same or similar presentation as BB's though, with more meat/heft, which is what I like in general about spares. They also seem to "render" better due to more fat.

Back