Do you have to flip a butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Watson

TVWBB Fan
I'm 5 hrs into cooking a 6.5lb butt and was curious if it was really necessary to flip them? I have done it in the past but was thinking why?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm 5 hrs into cooking a 6.5lb butt and was curious if it was really necessary to flip them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> NO! I never understood why people do flip them? You aren't "searing" it like a steak? IMO, there is not any reason to flip a butt or a brisket!
icon_biggrin.gif

I usually take the John Kerry approach and do the flip/flop thing. Usually I'm cooking 3 or 4 at the same time, so I just flip them when I swap them from top to bottom. If I don't swap, I always find the bottom takes a lot longer.

Wouldn't it be great if the grates were interchangeable....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm 5 hrs into cooking a 6.5lb butt and was curious if it was really necessary to flip them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Confucius say, "man who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger"!
icon_eek.gif
The same is true for a man who flips his butt!
icon_eek.gif

I never do. On my last cook I tried something different for me, I cooked the butt fat side down. It didn't make a difference.

I usually never use foil, but was wondering what it's purpose is? Is it to speed up the cokking process or to keep the butt moist? Or both? And when should I put in the foil? At 170?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I usually never use foil, but was wondering what it's purpose is? Is it to speed up the cokking process or to keep the butt moist? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I guess it is a combination of both! I have never done it and do not see a reason to start.

I'm just full of questions today so bare with me....

I have cooked my last two butts to the 200 range but I was just reading the Mr. Brown recipe in the cooking section and noticed that they only cooked the butt to 170-180ish. Is that enough?

If you want to slice them, that's a good temp range. Butt, for pulling 195 to 205 is good for me. BTW, I never flip and I have none of that finger stuff either.
icon_smile.gif

Well its sitting at 170 right now, i'm sure I'm going to be at this stage for a while. But thats ok, I'm off all week so I'm just going to sit on the patio and baby sit this butt.

Joe, settle in for a butt kickin and watchin experience tonight! Wait till you PB gets to the 180's and stays there!!

Yanks in 5!! (Saratoga Springs, NY native)!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Watson:
oh yes, go SOX!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>SOX?? You mean SUX don't you?
icon_razz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back