Do you have to flip a butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look what this post drug out of the closet...a couple Yankees....lol I just hope the series lives up to the one from last year. I also hope that Don Zimmer keeps his A@#$ on the bench...lol

icon_biggrin.gif
All in fun Joe
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Watson:
Damn Yankees....
icon_mad.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ME TOO

Wel this butt is almost done, sitting at 197 right now. It's too late too eat it tonight, is it ok to wrap in foil and take straight to the fridge? Or do I need to let it sit wrapped in a cooler for a couple of hours first?

I would pull it first before refrigerating it. Pulling it cold will be a real PITA, plus it will chill to refrigerator temp faster (and safer) pulled rather than whole. Pull it sitting in a roasting pan and save whatever juices and mix them back into the meat.

Pull it now--it's fun. Get a couple of carving forks and go at it-- it will take you all of 5 minutes. You don't want to re-heat the entire roast to a temperature conducive to pulling at the expense of drying it out. Plus-- license to sample-- worth the effort.

After you pull it, let it sit for a while and cool off before you cover it and put it in the frig. I have a small fan on the kitchen bar that is used for just such things. A foil half-size "restaurant" pan is great for pulling and refrigerating. If you happened to catch any of the juice from the butt in the foil after cooking, keep it in the meat. When you reheat, try pouring about 1/2 cup or so of a half-n-half combination of apple juice and your favorite bbq sauce evenly through the meat, sprinkle with some more of your rub, seal tightly with foil, and heat in the oven at about 300 until it reaches 160, rearranging the meat GENTLY occasionally, so as not to break it up any more than necessary - you don't want shreds. A whole butt's worth of meat should take an hour to an hour and a half or so, but check it occasionally. And fax me a few bites while you're pulling that thing, will ya? I'm still stuck working overtime on end of the quarter financial data for the company, and I'm hungry!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

wow keri!! even your description of what you do to a roast makes me hungry. That sounds like a gret trick with the juices!! I'll have to try that.

I'm lazy and hevent flipped that often but from cooking evenly perspective I would think that there could be some benefits from flipping a roast.

Has anyone else found this to be the case ..or disproved this idea?

Susan has a good point. I usually dont flip, but I have before when heat spikes have happened. That doesnt occur very often but none the less, it has.
DP

Flipping is effort. If I wanted effort I wouldn't have bought a Guru LOL. No...I don't flip them. I rotate top grate to bottom grate but I always keep the fat cap up. It's soooo dang hard to screw up a pork butt. You really have to leave them on for HOURS beyond the 190-205deg point (based on pref) or take them off too early to screw them up badly.

Susan and her Maverick
icon_smile.gif
know all to well that a slightly neglected butt will still turn out darn good. Just teasing ya a bit Susan. Whatcha go cooking tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back