Do you have a "MAKE SOON" list/folder/binder?

Hi Chris, I am beginning to think you might have the right idea. I started to go through some of the recipes and see if I could tell how long they have been in there, but a lot of them did not have that information on them. Good thing, I might be throwing out a lot of them. lol

Hmmm, according to my first post here, I only started dating the recipes back in Sept. of 2021. That explains it.

Between what I see here, Weber cookbooks, all my other cookbooks and binders full of recipes I have collected over the years, back of boxes, on the internet.......you get the idea. I come across recipes galore that just appeal to us and they wind up in my Make Soon folder. And that folder is getting soooo thick. So, for the last month, as a recipe goes in the folder, I have started to put a sticky on it with date/main ingred./ marinating time (if any) method of cooking. Now I have to decide how long to let that recipe sit in the folder, and if it doesn't get made within that time, just toss it.

So, I am just wondering how do you decide what to cook for dinner.
All of my recipes are categorized and stored on my laptop, so no clutter. What I cook next is usually what's been frozen for the longest. Most of the meat, I buy in bulk or on sale, vacuum seal and pop into the chest freezer, Periodically, I rotate older stuff out and move into the side-by-side in the kitchen. Once that's been used, I repeat the process. Exceptions are made for special occasions, when we have friends and/or family over for a meal or just feel like something specific for supper.
New project now is going through and deciding on which recipes from Raichlen's new Barbeque Bible I want to file away. Over 500 of them. That ought to keep me out of trouble for a while. When I try a recipe for the first time, I either file it as is, modify as needed and file or forget it.

Hi Bob, we try to use up the oldest in the freezer also, but it doesn't work that way all the time, right? lol. Just get in the mood for that new piece of meat that just came from the store. lol.

If you find anything really good in Raichlen's new Barbecue Bible, please share. I have 22 of his books and just don't have the room for any new ones. :rolleyes::cry:

Hi Bob, we try to use up the oldest in the freezer also, but it doesn't work that way all the time, right? lol. Just get in the mood for that new piece of meat that just came from the store. lol.

If you find anything really good in Raichlen's new Barbecue Bible, please share. I have 22 of his books and just don't have the room for any new ones. :rolleyes::cry:
Will do. Might be a while. I'm in hibernation mode and having trouble getting motivated to do much of anything except taking naps :)

I'm not really a big Raichlen fan. More comfortable and down to Earth recipes appeal to me a lot more than his fancy stuff. Being that my baby girl (youngest daughter) gave it to me for Christmas, I'll go through it and probably sift out a few that sound good.

All of our 2000+ recipes are in my computer and hard copies in binders in our office. In the kitchen I have a small binder I keep copies of recipes I use quite frequently. When we do our weekly menu, I pull the hard copies and place them in a folder for the week in the kitchen.
Our three freezers, two out in the garage and the house ref/freezer. We use the house one mostly to freeze leftovers that we will use up soon and normal staples like hamburger, bacon, breakfast sausage.
I have all of the Jamie Purviance Weber books and other grilling and BBQ books, but to be honest I don't use them much anymore.

This time of the year when it's cold which I don't tolerate well at all I don't do much if any grilling outside. I mess around with recipes for slow cooker and my instant pot also a lot of cast iron cooks.

I know some of this is a repeat of my earlier posts but just wanted to update a little bit.

Will do. Might be a while. I'm in hibernation mode and having trouble getting motivated to do much of anything except taking naps :)

I'm not really a big Raichlen fan. More comfortable and down to Earth recipes appeal to me a lot more than his fancy stuff. Being that my baby girl (youngest daughter) gave it to me for Christmas, I'll go through it and probably sift out a few that sound good.
HA HA!!!!!!

Maybe because I am used to his stuff, but I never thought of him as "fancy". Like his Beer Can Chicken and burgers. They all seem "down to earth" to me.

I think you'll find a lot of the recipes in that book meet your criteria. He got known for the "over the top" stuff on his TV shows, but I find his books are more approachable.

My wife hates him as a personality (we've watched all his shows), but doesn't complain a bit when I make one of his recipes. Of course, I don't tell her where it came from before she tastes it...! ;)

I like recipes that have a limited number of ingredients and are fairly simple. All of the recipes in Sam Jones book, WHOLE HOG BBQ, meet that criteria.
I also have quite a few Southern cookbooks that are good reading and have good recipes.

All of our 2000+ recipes are in my computer and hard copies in binders in our office. In the kitchen I have a small binder I keep copies of recipes I use quite frequently. When we do our weekly menu, I pull the hard copies and place them in a folder for the week in the kitchen.
Our three freezers, two out in the garage and the house ref/freezer. We use the house one mostly to freeze leftovers that we will use up soon and normal staples like hamburger, bacon, breakfast sausage.
I have all of the Jamie Purviance Weber books and other grilling and BBQ books, but to be honest I don't use them much anymore.

This time of the year when it's cold which I don't tolerate well at all I don't do much if any grilling outside. I mess around with recipes for slow cooker and my instant pot also a lot of cast iron cooks.

I know some of this is a repeat of my earlier posts but just wanted to update a little bit.

I think you'll find a lot of the recipes in that book meet your criteria. He got known for the "over the top" stuff on his TV shows, but I find his books are more approachable.

My wife hates him as a personality (we've watched all his shows), but doesn't complain a bit when I make one of his recipes. Of course, I don't tell her where it came from before she tastes it...! ;)
Thanks Grant. Good to hear.

Back