Do Small Briskets Do Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just opened a new Sam's here and they have small pieces of brisket flats. Didn't check the weight but they look to be 2 to 4 lbs. Will they smoke alright or will they just dry out?? Also, they have packets of spice with them which I assume is for making corned beef. If I pitch the spice packet and just smoke will that work.

Thanks

The Sam's here in Salt Lake only have flats in their display case. I asked one of the meat dept. workers & they were able to bring me out a whole brisket from the back.
You may want to ask them if you'd rather have the whole brisket.

Jeff

Hi Bill,

Click "search" at top of page and search on "brisket flat". You'll find tons of good info from past threads.

Regards,
Chris

I smoked a 4-5 lb brisket flat from Sam's here in Columbus several weeks ago- put it under a pork shoulder and it turned out awesome.

I was at Sam's a few days ago. They had both whole briskets and flats in the meat case. However, the whole ones were graded 'select' and the flats were graded 'choice.'

I was in search of a non injected frozen turkey breast. No luck, and I also saw all of the fresh Tyson chicken was injected.

Hey Fred, are you from the D/FW area? I was in the Sam's in Grand Prarie on Tuesday and they also has choice flats. I don't remember them having them on a regular basis. If your from the D/FW area, maybe it was just a one time thing for our area.

Mike,

No, I'm near Houston. I haven't looked at Sam's for flats, choice or otherwise, so I don't know if they normally carry them. But I hope they continue stocking the choice one's.

I smoked a large whole choice brisket from a butcher shop a few months ago, and it turned out great. I still have some in the freezer tho. I think I'd be happier with a smaller hunk of meat, since I also liked the flat the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back