Do Not Use Polder Probes In Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
Greetings everyone. I had a bunch of problems with Polder probes not working in my bullet. When I emailed Polder, they told me that their probes should not be used in a smoker. I was surprised, but if they say not to use their probes, I won't. Here is a link to a discussion on www.egullet.com where I post polder's comments: http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=22752&

(By the way, you will find a lot of good smoking talk on eGullet.)

Hi Stone - I've used the same Polder probe in my smokers for years - the one that reads one temperature. I bought one of the dual-temp ones, and it gave out on the second use. If it is that the probe wires are burning, why don't the probes on the regular Polders burn up as well? The dual probe Polder is a faulty product, and they should take it off the market.

Wow, I love their responses. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif English is definitely not that Polder rep's first language.

I've used my Polder single temp thermometer for 7 months both in the WSM, my Genesis Gold gas grill and my oven. No problems whatsoever. Maybe it is the dual thermometers. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I've used my Polder (sigle probe)in the WSM with no problems. I've read about all sorts of problems with the dual probe.

The emails from Polder posted on egullet look very similar to a response I got once when I emailed them a question. I bet they speak absolutely no English and use some sort of translator program to read and respond to email.

I recently bought the Maverick dual probe thermometer, and talked my buddy into getting one too. He tried his in his gas grill (1st ever use) and it broke. He emailed Maverick, and here is part of his email to me:

CAUTION, Do not use the probes in the grill, I did, OOPSIE. The probes can only handle 410 degrees. If the braided wire touches a grate that is hot it will BURN OUT

This may (or may not) be a related type issue. Thought I'd throw it out there.

Stone,

I appreciate your frustration with Polder /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif , but posting once in one forum is sufficient /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . I deleted the thread in the Advanced Forum and the mention in the Modifications Forum.

I suppose Polder is correct that the product was never designed specifically for smoker use, but rather for oven use. However, with careful use, I've been using my single probe Polder for about 5 years and only recently did I have to replace the probe, which went haywire for no apparent reason. In any event, use what works for you. Hopefully, the Maverick will do the trick.

Regards,
Chris

I use two of the polder single read digital thermo's. The ones that you can set you target temp and an alarm will sound when you reach it. I burnt through one of the probe cables in my old water bullet smoker. Found replacements for 7 bucks at amazon.com. Since using my new offset rig I have not had any problems with them at all. That has been over 35 cooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back