Do I really need a WSM?

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I have been smoking on my Weber grill with a Smokenator 1000 since last year. I usually only smoke for 4-6 people. (2-3 chickens, 2 butts, 3 slabs of ribs).

Do I really need a WSM? Or should I just keep on using my grill?

Do you NEED one? Probably not.

Unless your wife/GF is asking that question...then the answer is yes. And you figure out an excuse why.

You can never have too many toys. And a WSM is a great toy to have if you enjoy BBQ.

I'm in the same situation, except I have a WSM and I keep wondering if I should buy a kettle. So far the WSM is winning.

My only WSM complaint is that the 18.5" is too small for a full rack of ribs. I trim the end off to make them fit and curve them a bit.

Of course you don't "need one". Tofu, some water, an occasional fruit juice, can sustain life until..... what did I hear about "quality of life"........

I kept putting it off trying to make do with a kettle and an ECB. It wasn't worth the hassle. Now I can setup my wsm and just go to sleep after its stable. For ribs I could probably make do with a kettle, for butts its awesome.

Yes, you need one.

Smoking with the setup you describe has been shown to cause irritable bowel syndrome, itchiness, vertigo, dizziness, constipation, heart palpations, hypertension, hi blood pressure, impotence, incontinence, loose stool, hives, hair loss, dry mouth, blurred vision, insomnia, drowsiness...

Just ask the Surgeon General.

Seriously, as said before, you don't "... need" one, but they sure are fun and I'll bet you get better results. Also, the price point is not that high.

See my other posts but I finally made the jump last year have been very happy that I did. Almost too easy to use and a lot of flexibility to cook/smoke different things that won't fit on your current set-up.

After cooking with mine a few times, I threw a big BBQ party and invited over a ton of guys from the neighborhood. Late that Friday night, I put on 4 butts. They cooked all night. Party was at 2:00 on Saturday. More than one person said it was the best BBQ they had had in a long time.

To be fair, it was far from competition quality, but still very good. Now, how fun is that?

Good luck,

JKC

It depends how hard the smokenator is to maintain temperature. I used to smoke on my Weber performer (no smokenator) and i used to have wild temperature fluctuations and it required quite a bit of work. The WSM is an incredible piece of equipment - set up the minion method and that sucker holds bbq temp for countless hours.

I asked the same question a few months ago and am thrilled with my new WSM toy!

I think you do not need a WSM.

You need TWO WSMs!

That way you can cook for more people, get even more hooked, get the competition fever, and become one of the cult!!!

Next thing you know, you'll be scrounging CL and the side of the road for the elusive RED Weber kettles and the very very rare 14 inch WSM, but not to worry, you'll convert a Smokey Joe into a Mini WSM with a tamale pot. Then you'll have two and a half WSMs!

Of COURSE you need a WSM!!!

Pat

absolutely you need one. people of the opposite sex will find you more attractive, fish will fear you, it will speak highly of your obvious good taste and sophistication, while not cooking it functions as a piece of art on the level of a van gogh......basically all the cool kids have one!!!

joe

don't listen to joe.

icon_biggrin.gif

butt GET ONE.
<span class="ev_code_RED">TODAY!!</span>

It looks like I may be going the route of the Cajun Bandit. I have the left over bowl and lid from the Performer I am restoring. Plus all sorts of extra parts, including some 3 hole WSM vents.

I will still use the smokenator for small smokes.

Timothy..... ROTF LMAO!!
icon_biggrin.gif
HILARIOUS!!! You ask the question,"Do I really need a WSM?" ...then after a dozen folks answer with some version of an emphatic "YES!" ....you conclude, "I need a Cajun Bandit."
icon_confused.gif
...FAST forward 12 more months...new question: "I have a Smokenator I've used for a year, I also have a Cajun Bandit I've used for another year, do I need ..............
icon_confused.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_smile.gif
GET THE WSM!,...it's what you want
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Cheers!
icon_wink.gif

Yeah, you guys are right. I need a WSM.
I was at Ace today and got to look at the 18" in person. Very impressive!

Now all I have to do is find one on Craigslist. (Yes I am cheap.)

Good luck! I'm always looking for a good deal on another WSM. After all you can never have too many. They don't show up very often in this part of the world.

Tim,

I am in the exact same boat. I converted over my kettle with some fire bricks and a candy thermometer in the top, but dream of the day I can do an overnight cook. I wish you luck on finding one cheap. I have been " the 2nd guy who called" too many times and am just going for a new one. Hopefully I will be able to get mine the end of this year.

-JW

Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:

Now all I have to do is find one on Craigslist. (Yes I am cheap.)

Just think what you'd have paid for all the tasty meals you won't get from your WSM while waiting for a used one. Don't worry about the cost... live it up and go get yourself a new one... you won't be sorry you did!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back