Do butts get "stuck" aournd 180*?

Started 2 boneless butts last night around 9PM. Bullet stayed steady at 225* entire cook. Around noon, butts hit 180*, but were only at 185* by 3. I just pulled them because I'm worried about the shear amount of time thev've been cooking. I double checked the accuracy of my thermo and it was right on.
Does this happen to anyone else? I've I'm sure of the lid and meat temp, should I just cook them until they reach 190+, or do something else?

The 'plateau' can occur anywhere from 160 to 190.
Some butts will hold at that temp for hours while the internal structure gives up and you hit the 'slump'.
I probe when the meat hits 195 or so. If the probe ( temp probe or skewer or fork) goes in with no resistance in a few places then it's done. If not I let it cook for another 30 min and try again.
The meat can hit this point at any temp between 190 and 210 or so. The meat will tell you when it's done.
Don't worry about the internal temp at this point.At 180 the meat is safe to eat, but it won't be the pullable pork you might want.

I did 2 big ol 9lb bostons (had bones) past saturday, took 22 hrs to hit 195, it freaking sat at 194 for over an hour and drove me crazy! The top one I shoulda pulled earlier slighlty dry but the bottom one that got basted in the top ones juices was right on.

Butt both were great.

I did a small 4lb one this week that was on for 13 hrs. I did mop it a few times after it hit 160* however it stalled at 160* for 4.5 hours! It happens you just have to roll with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does this happen to anyone else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. I sometimes get two plateaux, one in the low/mid-160s, another ~180. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've I'm sure of the lid and meat temp, should I just cook them until they reach 190+, or do something else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Something else. Well, kind of.

It's important to understand that 'done', when it comes to barbecue, can be a variety of temps. As Mike notes upthread, feeling the meat will give you direction.

But it's a time thing. A butt that stalls, say, at 164 and/or at 180, for some time, before moving on up to, say, 190, will be more 'done' than a butt that doesn't stall - that just steadily rises to 190 - because the time to hit 190 for the first butt is significantly longer.

Pick a point to check the meat for tenderness, do so, then feel free to ignore internal temp. If the butt is not as tender, or not as rendered, as you'd like, cook longer before checking again. The internal temp may rise a few or several degrees during continued cooking, but this really doesn't matter. It's the continued cook time that makes the difference.

If you feel the meat to check for done - each time you cook - and every meat, whether butt, chuck, ribs, brisket - you'll develop a good sense of the corresponding point of 'done' with what you are feeling. You'll then just naturally focus more on done based on what the meat feels and looks like (which is totally what barbecue 'done' is) rather than temp, and internal temps will no longer matter to you, nor frustrate you. A very worthwhile perspective shift.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
Thanks for the info guys. The meat pulled pretty good. I'll just let'r cook all the way to 195* next time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's a good plan. I'm finding that in the past, I took mine off a bit too early. They still tasted great and were tender - but leaving them on until they test "tender" makes 'em even MORE tender, plus there's less "goop" inside to get rid-of when you pull/chop/shred the meat.

A few months ago, I ran some errands when the meat was in the plateau and got back home later than I had planned to. The meat was close to 200°F. I expected it to be over-done, but it was one of the best I've ever done!

Back