DIY Smokenator

MattD.

Has anyone built their own? Can make myself pay that much for a piece of bent sheet metal with a few holes in it. Figured I could by some metal and take some snips to eat. Am I missing something?

Has anyone built their own? Can make myself pay that much for a piece of bent sheet metal with a few holes in it. Figured I could by some metal and take some snips to eat. Am I missing something?

Probably not missing much.. it's pretty low tech. There are also others ways to get similar or better performance such as a Snake?Fuse method or using a basket with a defuser.

The good 'ole 2 brick plus foil method works so well that I scrapped my smokenator idea a few years back.
The Smokenator is a nice setup though...

in my opinion, the smokenator is over rated.
I've heard great things about it and I've heard horrible things about it... all from experienced cooks.
of course, I have never used the unit before, so who am I to say or judge...?
but from the reviews I have gathered, i'd pass.
hell, the smoker plate I made years ago, I don't use that anymore....
there are better ways to smoke in a kettle.

The good 'ole 2 brick plus foil method works so well that I scrapped my smokenator idea a few years back.
The Smokenator is a nice setup though...

in my opinion, the smokenator is over rated.
I've heard great things about it and I've heard horrible things about it... all from experienced cooks.
of course, I have never used the unit before, so who am I to say or judge...?
but from the reviews I have gathered, i'd pass.
hell, the smoker plate I made years ago, I don't use that anymore....
there are better ways to smoke in a kettle.

I agree with George and Jim. No need for it and besides adding water and stirring coals every 45-60 minutes is a PIA. To me the easiest and most efficient way to set up using this type of cooking method is to foil the unused portion of the charcoal grate and bank your coals using two fire brick as a dam. This way you are directing air through the fire for better temperature control. Easy to refuel, with lots of indirect area for cooking. You can use a water pan if you like, I don't.

Last edited:
Gary, rarely do I use it...it's in the garage somewhere.
I've been using the snake-method most of the time. adding more charcoal after 3 hours while using the smoker-plate is a drag.

It looks like a great idea Jim, the way you had it made up is impressive. I think I would like to try that in my 26. I'm using an 18" CI charcoal grate so your measurements except for the vertical barrier should work just fine for me. I'm usually checking my cook every 2-3 hours anyway. My longest cook now is brisket and I love doing it indirect in the 26 so I gotta try this setup.:)

Just take a weber charcoal basket and cover up the front of the basket, amazing what a difference it makes just by covering up the front, even heat through out the kettle especially in the 26er.

Back