Dismal BBQ here in San Francisco

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I enjoy getting out to try new BBQ restaurants here in the Bay area, seeing how there are so many other great restaurants here. But the BBQ that places here are turning out is just a shame.

I went to a place near Golden Gate Park, ordered a mixed plate of brisket and pulled pork to go. I got home and realized that what they were selling as brisket was actually shredded pot roast, that had no flavor of smoke or BBQ at all.

I think someone who really cared about turning out quality consistent BBQ would make a killing here in San Francisco. Memphis Minnie's can't even keep it consistent.

Not sure about SF but I completely agree with your comments when talking about about Portland, OR. There are only 2 decent joints that I know of and one of those is marginal at best.

I've often thought of what it would take to start a good bbq joint here in Portland.

yep, i got excited when a bbq joint opened up a few blocks away. the brisket was pulled beef.
ok but----. the ribs were ok but small and on the dry side. i quit after a couple of times as i could cook better for less money. another "q" place was so bad that i wanted to sue them.

I was excited to go to my first "authentic" bbq joint, about an hour away from where I live. I just dont understand how you can sell a pulled pork sandwich with no bark. I was confused more then anything lol. It is nice however when your spouse says "yours is better"
icon_cool.gif

Brandon

I've been to Everett & Jones. Their stuff is better than the rest of the stuff here in the Bay area. But its still way too expensive. Plus I had to have my bank call them out on double charging me, when I ordered $82 worth of BBQ. They ran the transaction twice. I only happened to catch it when I was looking for something else on my online banking.

Their sauce is the best I ever had though. I go thru a bottle every two weeks, and regularly keep stocked up on it.

When I went to Everett & Jones, the meat was served swimming in sauce. To me, that's a bad sign.

Regards,
Chris

Yeah, their consistency isn't very spot on either. I have found that to be the case with most of the places here in the Bay area.

I ordered my stuff to go ( ribs, and brisket) and had the sauce on the side. They actually just had the sauce in prefilled 16 ounce water bottles. The sauce at the restaurant is much different than the stuff in the stores. I think they add the drippings to their restaurant product. Its much thicker like its got fat mixed in.

Back