Disappointed....

Eric G

TVWBB Fan
Well I cooked my 2nd chicken cook last night. I was disappointed with it. Now let me tell you how I did it. I used the standard method for chicken described in the cooking section for BBQ Chicken. I followed these instructions to the letter. Now the appearance was great, moisture content was great, the skin was great.

What I had a problem with was the flavor it was extremely lacking. Now I used Stubb's BBq Rub, let it sit on the bird for 12hrs before cooking. After 45mins of cooking I put on the sauce which was the KC masterpeice from a bottle. Let it cook for 15mins more then got it to the right temp then crisped the skin.

So I guess I am asking what rubs do you prefer for chickens? I am planning on making up a batch of Steven Raichlen's basic bbq rub, with making my own sauce, Im hoping for a better result. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric G:
Well I cooked my 2nd chicken cook last night. I was disappointed with it. Now let me tell you how I did it. I used the standard method for chicken described in the cooking section for BBQ Chicken. I followed these instructions to the letter. Now the appearance was great, moisture content was great, the skin was great.

What I had a problem with was the flavor it was extremely lacking. Now I used Stubb's BBq Rub, let it sit on the bird for 12hrs before cooking. After 45mins of cooking I put on the sauce which was the KC masterpeice from a bottle. Let it cook for 15mins more then got it to the right temp then crisped the skin.

So I guess I am asking what rubs do you prefer for chickens? I am planning on making up a batch of Steven Raichlen's basic bbq rub, with making my own sauce, Im hoping for a better result. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your problem was the rub......Stubbs rubs are a pretty good base, but if I recall they do not contain any salt or sugar? If you add a little of each it will help.

I've been using plain kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper lately on alot of BBQ and I really like it basic. There are alot of very good rubs on the market, one that I really like on poultry is Head Country.

Eric,

I know you were asking for a rub, but try this recipe out Roadside Chicken

Its Bryan S's Roadside chicken. With 149 replies to date on that thread and a fantastic rating its real good. Its the go to chicken recipe in my house now.

Me, I do not care for sugared rubs on chicken nor do I care for chicken sauced while it is still on the grill (sometimes I glaze; not often).

Rubs don't do a lot if left on the surface, irrespective of how long they're there. I mix rubs or, more often, rub elements* with unsalted butter. This goes under the skin. I then either butter or oil the skin and apply the full rub to the surface.

Raichlen's rub suffers from the same problems, imo, as many other rubs--a preponderance of paprika and sugar and a lack of flavor. For chicken I tend to go with more herbs, less chile (flavorful chiles, definitely not paprika), a couple aromatics (onion, garlic) and a few spices; or I'll base on chile(s) plus a little sugar, the aromatics with two or three herbs, a few spices.

* rub ingredients that are on the coarse side I do not include in the mix for the butter to go under the skin--I mix those in last and that goes on the surface and in the cavities

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Me, I do not care for sugared rubs on chicken nor do I care for chicken sauced while it is still on the grill (sometimes I glaze; not often).

Rubs don't do a lot if left on the surface, irrespective of how long they're there. I mix rubs or, more often, rub elements* with unsalted butter. This goes under the skin. I then either butter or oil the skin and apply the full rub to the surface.

Raichlen's rub suffers from the same problems, imo, as many other rubs--a preponderance of paprika and sugar and a lack of flavor. For chicken I tend to go with more herbs, less chile (flavorful chiles, definitely not paprika), a couple aromatics (onion, garlic) and a few spices; or I'll base on chile(s) plus a little sugar, the aromatics with two or three herbs, a few spices.

* rub ingredients that are on the coarse side I do not include in the mix for the butter to go under the skin--I mix those in last and that goes on the surface and in the cavities </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Kevin,

Just wondering since this is basically trial and error to find something that suits your tastes. What you would suggest for a recipe/procedure for some tasty chicken off the WSM, as a note I am smoking over apple wood left that out of my original post.

Yup--trial and error--or simply trial and more trial without error. There are certinly many ways and many recipes and procedures for good chicken.

This is a rub for pork. A few posts down is a variation for chicken. (Commentary on salt, which I do not include in rubs (I salt first) is up with the pork rub recipe, along with suggestions on pepper sources.)

Rita's method is one I would use-or I would simply roast/smoke at high heat on the WSM or in the kettle. Because she dry-brined, the bird was already salted. That's a good approach or, alternatively, I'd make the rub (I'd use 1/3 the sugar, a personal preference) and make sure it was finely ground. About 2 T of it would get mixed with about 2 T unsalted butter--plus a little salt--and would get applied to the flesh under the skin. Then I'd oil the outside of the bird, sprinkle with salt, and then apply a T or so of rub to the outside--perhaps a bit more. A couple t plus a little salt for the cavities.

I'd cook at >450.

Eric,

I keep things pretty darn simple with chicken when cooking at home. Ample salt, pepper, and some good herbs...thyme and rosemary usually play a prominant role. I don't really use a standard rub. If cooking whole chickens, and when I don't butterfly them out, I'll load the cavity with quartered lemons, 3-4 cloves of garlic, onion, carrots, maybe a bay leaf. I'll salt under the skin, and place slices of unsalted butter under the skin...coat the skin w/ salt, pepper, herbs. Cook at 300-325 til done.

I sometimes get lazy, and break out the season salt (we have several brands around the house).

One big thing...don't get hung up on paprika...most of it has little or no flavor, and personally can't see where it adds much.

I'll often stuff with stuff too, often tossed with whatever rub I've made or with the sprigs from the fresh herbs I've used if that's what I used for the rub. Lemons, garlic, onion or shallot--all are good. Easy to do. Never got the whole beercan thing as you can simply add flavor without messing with the can...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Derum:
Eric,

I know you were asking for a rub, but try this recipe out Roadside Chicken
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with Chris.
icon_biggrin.gif

I like to marinate the chicken in a little Kens Italian dressing aand cook on the kettle. Lemon pepper seems to work for me on chicken with a little onion and garlic. Chicken always seems to do pick up the tase of the smoke more than other foods. Sometimes I make little slits and put herbs in the slits.

I have used a Lawry's garlic marinade with
chicken that is very nice. I am also a fan of
the Roadside Chicken found in the poultry
recipe section of this forum. I do not think
that either one of these will disappoint you.

I made the basic BBQ chicken last night and put together the rub that the recipe calls for and it came out fantastic. Try throwing that together.

If you want flavors to penetrate deep in the meat brine the bird...its the best. A basic recipe, 1/2 to 3/4 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar. I use almost a gallon of water (minus 16 oz for a tall boy beer) Throw some orange juice/pineapple juice if you like a little sweetness. Garlic powder etc...sky is the limit. There are many great brine recipes, wont even need rub.

Back