Dirty Bag Shrimp

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Having a party? This is for you!!

Per Rick Browne - "The seasoning is relatively mild, but you can fire it up by adding minced habanero or jalapeno pepper to the seasoning mix. If you have guests who don't want to get down and dirty with this dish, you can peel the shrimp before you cook them so they can eat with a fork."

Dirty Bag Shrimp

2 lbs. shrimp, shell on
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 TB. olive oil
1 TB. kosher salt
1 TB. celery salt
1 TB. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
4-6 paper lunch bags

1. Preheat the grill to medium high (350 to 400F),
2. Place the shrimp in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the butter and oil. Pour this mixture over the shrimp, sprinkle with the kosher salt, and mix well to coat every piece. Place the shrimp directly on the grill and cook just until they are all pink on both sides.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the celery salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and thyme. Set aside.
4. Place 8 to 10 shrimp in each paper bag. Add 1 tsp. of the spice mixture to each bag and shake the bags vigorously to coat all the shrimp with the seasonings.
5. Hand a bag to each person so they can tear open the bags and get their hands dirty. Supply lots of paper towels and hand wipes. Serve with plenty of lemon wedges and a sweet and smoky barbecue sauce for dipping. Yield: 4-6 servings

Source: 1,001 Best Grilling Recipes - Rick Browne

Per Rick Browne - "The seasoning is relatively mild, but you can fire it up by adding minced habanero or jalapeno pepper to the seasoning mix. If you have guests who don't want to get down and dirty with this dish, you can peel the shrimp before you cook them so they can eat with a fork."
Peeling the shrimp is an integral part of the eating process!

I'm with Bill; this looks like a good recipe. I don't have celery salt but I do have celery seed, and I think I'd devein the shrimp but leave the shells on (even though I hate deveining).

Bill, Brad, have either of you tried this yet? I haven't, but I thought it was about time for me to put it in the make soon folder. Hmmmm, wonder which one of us will make it first? lol

I have also added "Strawberry Shrimp" to the folder and a couple of SALMON recipes. Yes, working on my seafood binders. lol

No, I haven't tried it yet. It seems like it'd be a good recipe to make and eat outdoors...maybe sometime later this year!

Concept is pretty good, I see a few things I’d do differently, like mix the shrimp marinade in the big bowl and, just add the shrimp to mix that. One less bowl to wash, and at least double the shrimp!
And, not use BOTH celery salt and salt but, crush the celery seed and go from there.

Back