Dirtiest Q I have ever seen

After soaking the parts in soapy water for ten days, I had another go at it. Spent an hour on the firebox with pads, soap and a metal brush on my drill. Still could not get it properly clean.
I was trying to avoid damaging the outside paint on the lid and firebox, may need to resort to more severe measures.
I'm considering two options.
1. Oven cleaner (similar to easy-off), and trying to spray mostly the inside.
2. Putting the firebox/lid one at a time on my silver B grates and burning off the crud at high heat.
What do you think, has anyone tried this on a Q?

Just spray the insides with oven cleaner then hit it with power washer if you have one. I've done that and they come out perfectly clean. Even on a disgusting grime level
I gave it two rounds of oven cleaner, washing ans scrabbing. This thing just looked at me and laughed.
20230525_155915.jpg
I decided to burn off the grates and gradles crud using my silver B and have another round of brush on drill for the firebox and lid.
I THOUGHT that my genesis was relatively clean when I started 😜 apparently I was wrong. 😀
20230525_161611.jpg

This is after I shut of the gas and let most of the grease fire go off.
The good news is that now my silver B is clean, and its' firebox was not harmed.

Don't sweat that Q lid. That is a good seasoning coating in there. It is cosmetic only and if you did clean it down to bare aluminum, it would look that way again after a dozen cooks anyway.

Don't sweat that Q lid. That is a good seasoning coating in there. It is cosmetic only and if you did clean it down to bare aluminum, it would look that way again after a dozen cooks anyway.
I agree with you, Bruce and this what I usually do on my grills. But I don't know what this Q been through. I would like to clean it properly once.

Back