Dirtiest Q I have ever seen

Yair Halamish

TVWBB Fan
I have been looking for a small Q to use for camping where charcoal is not allowed.
Picked up this Q1200 for 500NIS ($140).
It came with 2 spare griddles and an Onlyfire rotisserie kit, so a decent deal price wise.
But MAN is it dirty :eek:
It was so dirty that I needed to cover my trunk and wear gloves before putting it in my car.
20230506_113859.jpgI run into many dirty Genesis, but it's mostly baked-on crud. This Q was swimming in grease. Maybe because the genesis reaches higher temperature in regular use.

First thing that I did was to take it completely apart and submerge everything in a bin with soap and water. I'll let it sit for a few days and see.
20230506_115728.jpg20230506_115728.jpg

It's not hard but in my experience they need a lot more attention more often than a Genesis. Particularly the burner(s). Not hard to do just more time consuming

I have been looking for a small Q to use for camping where charcoal is not allowed.
Picked up this Q1200 for 500NIS ($140).
It came with 2 spare griddles and an Onlyfire rotisserie kit, so a decent deal price wise.
But MAN is it dirty :eek:
It was so dirty that I needed to cover my trunk and wear gloves before putting it in my car.
View attachment 70224I run into many dirty Genesis, but it's mostly baked-on crud. This Q was swimming in grease. Maybe because the genesis reaches higher temperature in regular use.

First thing that I did was to take it completely apart and submerge everything in a bin with soap and water. I'll let it sit for a few days and see.
View attachment 70225View attachment 70225
I’m taking a leap here, it’s likely not from pork belly 🤣

A question for Q owners, in your opinion, is the Q as easy to keep clean as a Genesis?
Maybe it's because I have several cookers that I use but I feel like I use my Q3200 a decent amount of time. I run a nylon brush along the grates after each use and use a plastic putty knife in the firebox also after each use. I don't recall getting any debris on the burner tubes that a simple wipe with a paper towel didn't remove. For me, my Q is very easy to keep clean.

Maybe it's because I have several cookers that I use but I feel like I use my Q3200 a decent amount of time. I run a nylon brush along the grates after each use and use a plastic putty knife in the firebox also after each use. I don't recall getting any debris on the burner tubes that a simple wipe with a paper towel didn't remove. For me, my Q is very easy to keep clean.
I am not that fastidious :D

I am not that fastidious :D
LOL. Trust me, or am I. But I care grately ( :D ) about keeping rust off my CI grates, so after every cook I store them in a Camp Chef pouch and put them in the basement. It's probably because of removing the grates that I do the scrape down since I have easy access.

LOL. Trust me, or am I. But I care grately ( :D ) about keeping rust off my CI grates, so after every cook I store them in a Camp Chef pouch and put them in the basement. It's probably because of removing the grates that I do the scrape down since I have easy access.
Ahh, my CI ones are in the garage nestled safe and sound LOL. I used them MAYBE twice, and then bought the stainless ones Bruce and I have. I cannot recommend those enough BTW. So much so I'm thinking of springing for the ones on EBay from Germany of heavy gauge 304SS

Yah, the stainless grates let me go several cooks between even brushing the grates. Yah, my cook box gets pretty nasty between cleanings.

I think one of the nice things about the Q grills are how easy they are to keep basically clean. Wipe down the exterior with something like Simple Green. Clean the grate with your choice of tool and then remove. If you have cast iron, I think you always want last cook’s grease (not chunks of food) to be left on until your next cook to then be burned off and the grate recoated with oil or grill spray Pam/Crisco. Use one of those cheap plastic scrapers - the narrow size (I get mine at Ace) and just push everything to the “drain” and down into your foil drip tray. Replace (or at least empty) the foil tray and put the grate back on. No flavorizer bars to deal with and a relatively easy sloping bottom to scrape.

While it is pretty easy, I agree with @LMichaels that you will have to do it more often than on a Genesis. Also, eventually you will need to do a more thorough cleaning depending on how often you use your Q.

Yeah it's not "hard to do" just needed far more often. Especially brushing the burners clean. I have noticed on Qs the burner(s) get crudded up and clogged way more easily than any other grill (Genesis or such) with actual heat tents just above the burners. Come out easy enough

Even the full clean up is half the time or less on a Q than on a Genesis....Unless of course the burners need a rigorous cleaning hole by hole.

I have a pressure washer now. Next time I do a full cleaning, I will take it out in the yard and give it hell with that. Those imperfections and other bumps and stuff in the cook box bowl irritate me as well....I use a metal 2" scraper normally and they get hung up and can't reach into corners and crevices very well.

That is dirty, but I got one once that they had stuck the grease tray in the inside! The grease and muck had gone up over the top of the burner as it had no where to drain and gas could no longer come out;-) After a good cleaning it fired right up.

Yah, I picked up a E3xx Genesis where the gunk was litterally piled up to the bottom of the burners. Among the stuff I found when cleaning out the stuff was a kitchen fork.

I think one of the nice things about the Q grills are how easy they are to keep basically clean. Wipe down the exterior with something like Simple Green. Clean the grate with your choice of tool and then remove. If you have cast iron, I think you always want last cook’s grease (not chunks of food) to be left on until your next cook to then be burned off and the grate recoated with oil or grill spray Pam/Crisco. Use one of those cheap plastic scrapers - the narrow size (I get mine at Ace) and just push everything to the “drain” and down into your foil drip tray. Replace (or at least empty) the foil tray and put the grate back on. No flavorizer bars to deal with and a relatively easy sloping bottom to scrape.

While it is pretty easy, I agree with @LMichaels that you will have to do it more often than on a Genesis. Also, eventually you will need to do a more thorough cleaning depending on how often you use your Q.
This ^^^^^^^^^

Given its smaller size and easily scraped bottom, it's way easier to clean than the Genesis. This is an exact description of how I clean my Q. The funny part is I clicked on this topic nervously to find a Q that looks like mine. lol. Thankfully I was horrified when I saw the pics. How do you get the outside and the frame that dirty????

A lot of greasy meat was cooked on that thing, wonder if it had a griddle?
Reminds me of one outside a construction trailer the trades used all the time.

Back