Dinner tonight

Stacy Hudson

TVWBB Member
Disclaimer - I got no pix...the hordes were hungry and hovering at the grill! I decided that today would be a chicken day based on the sales at the store. Wound up with two packs of fresh wings, and one pack of legs. Legs were seasoned and offset grilled for about 40 minutes. Stayed juicy, hit temp, all is good. Did my wings after prep over direct heat, and the results were hit and miss. Some skin was charred, some were perfect, but it seemed to be very random. Tossed with a buffalo sauce or a sweet BBQ sauce depending on who was eating them.

So where was my error? I love the flavor and the chew of the wings that weren't burned, but I don't want to waste my fuel peeking and flipping, Whats your trick? for the record, with the broccoli, mac and cheese and honey cornbread muffins, the meal was a success, but I want better that what I provided! Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a tasty meal Stacy!

I like to do my wings indirect, the way you did your legs, then direct to crisp the skin when they're about done.
But they have to be tended to, lid up, and turning often.

Another method can be found here.

If this helps, send me a couple of your honey cornbread muffins:)

Thanks, Bob! I think I may try an indirect approach next time, as I loved the flavor of the legs and wings that did not get charred. Love some wings around here about football time, but want a consistent product even if it means babysitting. Love it when my cologne has some lump scent to it, lol!

Stacy,

I always do my wings directly over the heat for about 45 - 50 minutes. I dump my chimney and spread the coal across 3/4 of the grate in about a single layer. Then I dump the wings on the grate. After about 5 minutes I check them and turn to see any hot spots. After that is just toss them around every 10 minutes and if there are any getting too crisp I slide them to the cooler side of the grill. Below is what my grill looks like during a cook.

DSCN1571.jpg

Ty Kevin! I usually have about 2/3 of my grilling surface direct, but modified it for this cook. With football season upon us, I want to get some great chicken wings out. And since I am teaching the kiddo in the process, my tasty errors need to be reduced! Will try your way next weekend. Thanks again!

I start indirect with a hot fire under one half of my Performer, 4 minutes on each side to render the fat, then direct for 2 minutes on each side to finish. I check that they are done with a Thermapen, ~170 degrees F. Depending on the situation I then either toss them in sauce or put out various flavors of dipping sauces that are in the Cook's Illustrated book on grilling. Cannot understand why it would take longer to cook wings.

Bill

TY all, I have managed to be happy with my cooks, but my kid has been wanting to learn. and I have wanted to teach her right. She will feed e when I am old so it is in my interest, lol!

I cook my wings on my WSM which i see you have. I take the water bowl out. I use a full chimeny lit and add a half of unlit on top let let it come up to temp about 325 to 350 put the wings on to cook. turning about half way through works out great no charred nice and tender

Love them on the WSM. I run with an empty foiled pan, one chimney lit, dumped on what ever I have around. ( some lump or left over coals) Top rack for 1 hour, flipping after 30 min. Pre cook is a dry marinade in my sweet chili rub.

I cook my wings the same way I do other chicken parts - indirect then finish over direct (watching CAREFULLY). They are predictable almost down to the minute.

Check out Cook's Classic Barbecue Chicken for details.

Dale53

I've tried wings on my gasser and kettle, direct and indirect, but nothing beats the WSM with the water bowl removed. Including the best wings in any bar or BBQ joint.

Back