Dinner Cooked in The Rain

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
My son was a big help preparing dinner. He did the heavy lifting for this cook. My wife wanted Burgers so she got them plus roasted potatoes, grilled Asparagus, and sliced Tomatoes. Spike prepped the Asparagus and did the cooking on the Smokefire. We cooked the Potatoes in the oven.. He has learned the grill nicely and he now trusts it in the rain. The grill sits under the eaves so only the back half gets wet. Dinner was a hit with my Wife, Daughter, and Daughter in Law so the guys were happy.
9-27-23 Asparagus.JPG9-27-23 Burger w cheese.JPG9-27-23 Rain.JPG

I've been meaning to post a question lately about using the Smokefire in the rain. I've been terrified to do so, but we've had multiple days of rain recently and it's been killing me. I guess that's why I still have a Genesis.

Isn't it the back half you need to worry about? Anyway good cook!
I checked and the electronics are waterproofed and the pellet hopper stays dry. I fill the hopper before I wheel it out of the garage and I get a little wet getting it positioned. The entire grill could handle the rain but the cook doesn't like getting soaked and I like keeping the food dry as it comes off the grill. I've cooked through thunderstorms with nary a glitch.

I've been meaning to post a question lately about using the Smokefire in the rain. I've been terrified to do so, but we've had multiple days of rain recently and it's been killing me. I guess that's why I still have a Genesis.
I haven't made any mods to better handle rain and I've probably cooked over 50 times in rain and thunderstorms. Rainproofing is not one of it's weaknesses.
Looks even better on this forum Lew. Great family win.
thanks Darien. I forgot to mention that it was a 400 degree cook and in 12 minutes the Asparagus picked up a lot of smoke flavor. Not many pellet grills can do that.

Thanks Lew. Giving me a little more confidence about poor weather cooking. My one good friend that has had a SF for a couple years has a covered area that he can move his under if the weather goes south, so he's been of little assistance. :D

I gasketed the pellet hopper on Big Z. IDK about the control panel. I even silicone caulked around the top of the rear vent so if rain did hit it would not seep into the oven portion. I have often thought maybe a cover that fit over the hopper assembly and shielded everything, for even if I should forget to cover after a cook

My SmokeFire laughs at the wind and rain. A few weeks ago, a severe thunderstorm hit in the middle of one of my LS cooks. 50 mph winds blowing the rain side ways. No problemo.

Back