Digiq arrived today!

Sheila Cochran

TVWBB Fan
I finally broke down and ordered the Digiq DX 2 last Thursday (Aug 1st). I didn't expect it to ship out for 48-72 hours (per the note on BBQ Guru's web page), figured it would be at least 10 days before I would get it. However, the folks at BBQ Guru outdid themselves - to my surprise and great happiness, it was delivered today! Man, that shipping was almost as fast as Amazon PRIME! :) Just look at the fast turn-around time, it was shipped the day after I ordered it !!

http://sdcochran.smugmug.com/photos/i-Q9Bx9dW/0/L/i-Q9Bx9dW-L.jpg

So, I unboxed and installed it on my 22" WSM...had some trouble with the adapter, it wouldn't seat flush on the inside at all. I was a tad upset with that but decided to just tape the gap on the inside with the *little* bit of tape I had left over after taping the vent holes on the outside - and took it for a little test run just to see how it'd work. I've since discovered a post here that suggests loosening the screw on the adapter a bit to help it seat flush, I'll work on that tomorrow night. Here's a pic of the blower installed. Sweet.

http://sdcochran.smugmug.com/photos/i-LzdRPb9/0/L/i-LzdRPb9-L.jpg

At any rate, for my test run I loaded about 10 lbs of Kingsford Blue in a pyramid shape, lit a cube on the top, and let the cube do its thing. Once the coals were started I assembled the smoker, included the water pan with foiled clay pot, ran the new guru probes and an additional Maverick pit probe for comparison purposes...and closed her up, closed all the bottom vents completely, and left the dome vent OPEN 100%. It took the smoker 1 hour to come up to temp (225*). I didn't have any meat to put on, so I threw on a couple potatoes just for giggles.

That was about 4 hours ago and the temp is still rock steady at 225* - hasn't deviated at all. I've made NO adjustments. The fan is barely kicking on, just a really short puff every 10 seconds or so. I'm curious to see how long the 10lbs of fuel will last. Probably last a long time since it's not cooking anything!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Just wanted to say that I am very excited about this gadget, might just be the best money I've spent since the WSM itself...definitely going to the meat market to pick up either a brisket, some ribs, or a pork butt or two for this weekend. Break this thing in for real, heck with the taters !!

http://sdcochran.smugmug.com/photos/i-6tP7Xs5/0/L/i-6tP7Xs5-L.jpg

I think if you put
afterwards I'll show in the post.

Congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to how it performs for you.

Where did you have the vent where the blower is set? I read 25-50% will suffice.

Last edited:
Sorry, I tried to identify all the settings and missed a critical one! I had the damper set at 50% on the blower for the entire time.

I finally shut the unit down at 1:30 this morning, it was still at 225* rock steady. I figure it ran steady for 5.5 hours, maybe 6. I'm real happy to have been able to run at consistant temps with the top vent 100% open.

But that was a simple test run, no meat on the grill. We'll see if that changes this weekend.

I hope the get the adapter tweaked before a real cook, so that it seats flush on the inside without requiring tape, before this weekend's cook.

I'll come back and update with this weekends cook results. :wsm:

Still debating on brisket or pork butts. Maybe I'll do both! :eek: If I do cook both, which meat should be on the top rack? Does it matter?

I love it when women are on here discussing smoking, at my house it is the man's job. :) I wish my wife were more into starting and running the smokers ...

Welcome Sheila!

Thanks for the welcome Mike ! I've been absent from the forum for too long!

The men in my family are more than happy to sit back and rest while the grill and/or smoker is in use; with their forks at the ready! :)

I was the first in the family to attempt smoking and now feel like I'm getting good, consistent results. I'm thinking that the guys in my family may feel a tad too intimidated to even try at this point. Not that *I* would be competitive or anything...yeah, right. BwaaaHaaaahahaha...("competitve" should be part of my family name)

I do enjoy the challenges of grillin' and smokin' !

Back