Did I get ripped off? Or am I being cheap?

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
No big deal really but it's aggravating me. Just bought an 8.25 lb flat in cyro for tomorrow. $3.99 a pound. Anyways...It was a bit more than I wanted to spend. Just something about paying more than $30 for a chunk of meat wasn't sitting well with me, $29.99 wouldn't bother me though...lol. So I had the guy trim it up, leaving a 1/4 in. fat cap. Thinking it would cut a pound off the price. He did a perfect job of trimming (better than I ever have..lol, it's not my strong suit). Anyway he still charged me for the full flat, around $33. Did I get ripped?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did I get ripped? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only if your butcher is a family member.
icon_smile.gif

Over-pricing aside, consider that your meat vendor paid, per pound, the same for what he trimmed off for you as for what you got. But he's left with a pound of what would have been $3.99 retail (to him) that is now worthless fat scraps. This is why pre-trimmed meat always sells for more than untrimmed-- because of the shrinkage and the value-added service. I'd say you (kind of) got a deal in that he trimmed it, and didn't bump up the price per lb. on the net as well for having done the work for you.

Well, my BJ's around here sells flats for $3.49, so NO you didn't really get ripped off! Could you have gotten it cheaper? YES!!!

Sams and Super WalMart are by far the cheapest places I find briskets. Sams are choice and WalMarts are sometimes Select, othertimes ungraded. In either case, I can't tell a difference once cooked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:
Did I get ripped? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd say no. You paid for what you selected. FWIW, I only buy flats in cryo, but I never trim them or have them trimmed more than they already are. I cannot tell how thick the fat is until I take the meat out of the package. A layer of fat a bit thicker than you might want over a section of the meat only means that whatever doesn't cook out will be cut off when the meat is done. I'd rather have the fat to start with than too little. $3.99 is typical supermarket price around here, although like Larry, I get mine at BJ's. Besides, you're a Chiefs fan living in Albany.
icon_smile.gif

3.99 is for trimmed. They are usually out of the cyro and in the case, and way over trimmed. So I always ask for it still in the cyro. Just the first time they charged me the pre trimmed price. Like I said it aint a big deal. This was at a local Supermarket. It says it's CAB. If that makes a difference in the xtra I pay there. Plus it's close to home.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It says it's CAB. If that makes a difference </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It should.

Sam's Club Angus Beef is around $1.66 for Packer and a bout a buck more for flats. In WA state CAB trademarked beef is only available from Sysco and I don't like them.

when i trim a brisket and there are a lot of trimmings i baggie the trimmings and stick em in the freezer. trimmings are great to add to really lean cuts when making burger for higher fat content, or grinding into sausage to raise the fat content. i am not sure if it has any effect but i have layered brisket flats and beef ribs with previous brisket trimmings.

Bill, keep checking out WallyWorld. When the briskets get close to expiration date ,they'' make you a real deal. Made many a score over there doing that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
Sam's Club Angus Beef is around $1.66 for Packer and a bout a buck more for flats. In WA state CAB trademarked beef is only available from Sysco and I don't like them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

man...wish i lived where u do ....local sams doesn't even stock brisket....can be ordered for 2.99 lb ....not sure of the grade though

Restaurant Depot has CAB for about 1.99/lb though.....case price

Just be happy you don't keep kosher. Kosher flats go for 8.99-12.99/lb depending on how trimmed they are (they always overtrim them). A 4lb cost me $50 the other day. I've had to start getting whole briskets, which is a much more reasonable $6.49/lb.

I wouldn't pay more than $2 a lb for select brisket. 3.99 is high to me for a tough cut of beef.

But I guess that may also depend on the area that you live in. And after trimming your actually paying $4.50 to $5.00 a lb.

As far as meat quality, there are other cuts for the same price or less that should be better quality... chuck, tri tips, skirt steaks, etc. even at $5.00 a lb I can get choice brisket flats here.

John

Like most meats, brisket is such a regional meat. a local butcher will get a couple shipments in a week of CAB packers...I can go and sift through about 25 packers...its like heaven. Last year I was paying $1.78/lb this year about $2.25-250. But when it comes to brisket I always buy CAB.

IMHOP Sams choice meats are about as good a deal as you're gonna get.. Brisket cooked right can't be beat :) By the way..I'm interested in the 22.5 Smokey Mtn cooker... but am concerned about the initial reviews ... poor fitment.. heat control..etc Anybody got any current experience / opinions after extensive use?

Almost had a disaster with it. Everything was stable and holding nicely at 245 lid, and I was about 8 hours into the cook. So I figured I'd take an afternoon nap. Woke up a few hours later and checked the temp and it was over 375! The **** door had fallen off somehow. I was afraid to leave it in any longer because the end was looking a little toasted. So I took it out. It turned out to be o.k.. Not my best but it was edible. Me and my son polished it off Sunday - Tuesday...lol. There was a couple thing I noticed that I'll start a new post about.

Wow, pricing is definitely regional. Down here in Texas I never buy mine for more than a buck a pound--cryo packers, that is. Granted, that price is around the summer holidays, but at $12-$15 each, I'll grab a few for the smoker and a few for the freezer. (Heck, one's going on tonight along with two po'k butts!).

That said, the above rational for pricing seems sound. Best bet: come down to Texas with a giant cooler around MemDay, Labor Day or 4th of July and stock up!
icon_cool.gif

Back