did i get a roast or a steak and what do i do with it..

Jonathan Jarembek

TVWBB Member
well i guess the subject says it all..

i was planning on doing a 7 bone standing rib roast for new years eve but for what ever reason all the stores i went to were sold out.

so I ended up at sams club and purchased a beef rib, rib eye with a 2 in lip.

its a tad under 18lbs.

so as bad as this sounds what did i actually get ?

I though it was a roast but the more i look at it i am not really sure..

its still in a cryovac pack so i cannot even tell if there are bones in it. "kinda cold/ maybe partial frozen"

there is a nice fat pack on it and i am assuming that's what the 2in lip is.

as far as prep i was going to trim most of the fat but not all,

use a salt based rub "or just salt and pepper"

do i need to tie this bad boy up like a traditional roast ?

and do an internal temp cook to about 120 degrees.

does that sound about right ?

also does any one have an idea of the cook time on this at a high heat cook ?

and of course what did i actually buy since i am kinda confused on the meat selection.

thanks

Jon

Jon, Sounds like you bought a whole rib eye, most likely no bones. You'd be able to see and feel the bones if they were there. You prob can see and feel where they cut the meat out from the bones. They really go deep to get as much out from between the bones as they can, It usually looks like bones on the one side of a whole rib eye, I myself would slice 1.5" steaks and fire up the grill. Don't forget the Bellas.
icon_biggrin.gif
Can you post some pics of the rib eye?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Jon, Sounds like you bought a whole rib eye, most likely no bones. You'd be able to see and feel the bones if they were there. I myself would slice 1.5" steaks and fire up the grill. Don't forget the Bellas.
icon_biggrin.gif
Can you post some pics of the rib eye? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's my thinking, too. If you post pics, post one of the label. And go 1.5" minimum!
icon_cool.gif

Bill

IDK i gotta say i do feel bad.

really really wanted to smoke a rib roast but with the holidays i dont think steak is a bad follow up..

just take this as a learning lesson and try to plan more then 2 days in advanced.

so any good tips on cooking this or using a nice rub other then the 1.5 - 2 in thick cut :p

That looks like a bone-out whole rib-eye from here. I see STEAKS but others might have some ideas for cooking it as a roast.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonathan Jarembek:
IDK i gotta say i do feel bad.

really really wanted to smoke a rib roast but with the holidays i dont think steak is a bad follow up..

just take this as a learning lesson and try to plan more then 2 days in advanced.

so any good tips on cooking this or using a nice rub other then the 1.5 - 2 in thick cut :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, you can still smoke it. Me, I think I'd try to keep it up off the grate with a roasting rack or something (no pan) and go with one of the other recipe's/threads you've seen here.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
That looks like a bone-out whole rib-eye from here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, pic 3 shows where the bones were cut off the whole rib eye. Yes you can smoke/roast it same as you would a standing rib roast. Yes to putting it on a rack as Bill said.

not sure i have a rack to use i will have to dig around or maybe stop buy the store and get something.

so what do you think 2 - 3 hours at 350 ?

120 internal temp for med rare, and just salt and pepper ?

some mesquite and maybe pecan smoke wood.

just double checking as I don't want let down a whole bunch of ppl at dinner on wed..

thanks again for everything

jon

I have a 2 rib bone-in that's just about thawed that I plan on smoking and I'm going with Larry Wolfe's method of bringing the roast to room temp and smoknig at 200º, because I like how even his roast was cooked, but mines going in the WSM, not the oven. Haven't decided on a rub yet..

Bill

I have cooked this piece of meat as steak cut by me and as a roast. I would follow the directions for the standing rib roast and all will be good.

sorry i guess i have 1 last question..

for a piece of meat this size should i low in slow it or high heat ?

i dont think its gonna fit as is so i know i am going to have to cut it an inch or 2 to fit.

jon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonathan Jarembek:
sorry i guess i have 1 last question..

for a piece of meat this size should i low in slow it or high heat ?

i dont think its gonna fit as is so i know i am going to have to cut it an inch or 2 to fit.

jon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you want uniform doneness then let it sit out of the fridge for about 2 hrs and do it low and slow. If you want the outer edges to be more done than the center, then leave it out for about an hr and do it high heat.

I do the low and slow method as well. But before roasting I sear the outside in a smokin' hot cast iron pan. It gives the meat that nice brown seared color that the low roasting temps can't. Let it cool slightly then add seasonings.
I have tried lots of rubs but by far the best flavor for beef is a mixture of kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and garlic powder.

Al

this is how i always buy my rib-eye.18 lbs boneless will feed 25 people, so cut yourself a couple of steaks and freeze.i usually get a 5lb roast and 10-12 steaks out of 18-20lber.

Well i cooked the meat and i think it came out pretty good.

just used salt, pepper, and garlic powder,

used some hickory, and pecan smoke wood.

on a high heat grill and rest for 40 min

i pulled it off at 120 degrees internal temp and a good portion of the roast was red color and lots of red blood/juice leaking out. "i am assuming more juice then blood"

i tried it and i though it was good and the other people that liked med rare/rare meat did as well.

there were a few people that preferred a little more cooked meat so i did fire a few pieces on the grill and it did retain its flavor.

all in all the only thing i was change would be cooking to idk maybe about 125 - 130 degrees internal temp for a little more done-ness to please the masses.

here are a few pics from this evening.

thanks

jon

3155818522_4ed3bb0b11.jpg

3155818458_6b186365fb.jpg

3154982741_cf79026fa1.jpg

3154982721_4e8b80d17c.jpg

3155818544_db3b7e5c41.jpg

3154982655_f33013183e.jpg

edit *****

after reading some posts it appears i pulled it a tad early at 120 and should of pulled it at 130 hence the rare cook..

i will make note and make sure i leave it on longer next time.

Jonathan,
Looks fantastic. For my taste I wouldn't change a thing, but then you aren't cooking for me. Nice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
after reading some posts it appears i pulled it a tad early at 120 and should of pulled it at 130 hence the rare cook..

i will make note and make sure i leave it on longer next time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you pulled it too early. That's pink, not red. It looks perfect. If someone wants their slice done more just toss it on the grill for a couple of minutes per side to cook it more for them.

Nice job!

BTW, cute dogs. Are they full, or waiting for scraps?
icon_smile.gif

I see three "people" that didn't care if it was a little rare
icon_biggrin.gif
I'm sure those dogs loved any scraps you threw their way.

The roast looks great and for the ones who like it more well done, I think the grill is the way to go. Unfortunately, I found myself at a house last night where the cook doesn't like his meat to moo. So he didn't even pull his roast until 155-160. Then he cut it, slapped some garlic on each "steak" and grilled it some more. Now I'm a medium doneness type of person so I didn't think these were worth eating. However, we did have a good evening.

Happy New Year!

Back