Did a litte cleaning.

MarkCuda

TVWBB Super Fan
Valves have been disassembled, cleaned, lubricated and reassembled.
The outside is not as new looking as some I've seen but ok for my keeper.
As far as this smokerbox, I don't think it's ever been usedšŸ¤”
Should there be more to this smokerbox or is this all there is to it ?
1000006982.jpg1000006983.jpg1000006984.jpg

You're a better man than I am. I've never actually had the guts to remove the valves from the rail, I am afraid they will break. I'm not too familiar with those smoker boxes but that one does look pretty much new

I was very intimidated by the thought of disassembling the valves but I found a video on this site showing and explaining every stage of the process.
Not sure who posted it but thank you, I would of never took them apart if it wasn't for the video.

I was very intimidated by the thought of disassembling the valves but I found a video on this site showing and explaining every stage of the process.
Not sure who posted it but thank you, I would of never took them apart if it wasn't for the video.
I've taken the valves apart one time myself, which is a risky proposition in that one of the screws became stripped and I had to source a slightly larger screw to fix that valve. I've since come up with a better way of doing it which I won't share publicly because of backlash against my process. I won't remove the valves from the rail because I can't think of a reason why that's beneficial. I've also heard from at least one other member here that damaged a valve by trying to remove it, not worth the risk in my opinion. The first place to start is by removing all the outer corrosion from each valve and stem, it does make a difference in the way they operate. The bottom line is this is the way it's supposed to look when you are done, if it doesn't then you still might not achieve the desired result.1000002746.png

Last edited:
My support bracket for the manifold will be the big metal piece instead of the two wire supports, so yes, mine will be wrong šŸ˜‰
It is real easy to just remove the silicone washer and spray some WD40 down the shaft, loosens it up unbelievable šŸ˜
Don't tell any one.
1000006935.jpg

Last edited:
If you get a valve that is stubborn to the point it looks/feels like you will damage it by disassembly and doing the job "correctly". There is a way to "cheat" it. I've had to resort to it. (particularly on the Wolf) as those valves had particularly stubborn screws with recessed heads. And they're not budging. So, here is my "magic sauce" for that issue.
Small wire brush like this https://www.harborfreight.com/brass-detail-brush-69524.html cleaning all around the stem and retainer as best as possible. Spray off residue with a little BrakeKleen (though not directly into the stem but across it). Then I hit it with a drop or two of good ol' ATF. Any kind. Work the valve wipe clean and repeat if necessary. The valve WILL work better and actually work if it was totally stuck prior.
It will NOT work as well as doing it fully as was outlined in the video. But, it WILL save one that is not working.
I did this on my Wolf as I had valves nearly locked up completely when I got it home. Had it all these years (and on that beast those valves get HOT. It's still going fine to this day. Is it as good as it can be? No. Not by a long shot. But, it was this of likely scrap the entire grill.
This should always be a "last resort" type of fix IMO. but it saved mine.
Now why the ATF? Well it can take quite a lot of heat and not harden. It's a penetrant as well as a lubricant. So it can get it's way into the shaft and do it's magic. ATF is really good stuff for oddball things like this.
But, honestly I would still like to get the valves apart.
This worked (works) because on a stuck valve 90% of the issue is at the stem and the stem retainer. But there is still debris inside it and corrosion, along with the grease from the factory that will have hardened and oxidized over time. So it's NOT A FIX it's a "workaround" at best.

Good ol' red Auto Trans Fluid. If you don't have any just buy the cheapest qt you can find. It's REALLY useful stuff.

Yeah it's weird about those screws. They shouldn't corrode but they do. SMH. And as a rule they either come out or they don't. If they don't and you have alternatives great. If not, the alternative method I noted above will "do" for quite some time. And honestly is easy to repeat if needed. But, really? While the Wolf is not as "smooth" operating as I would like, at least it's still operating and not made into something else :D
Actually now thinking I MIGHT give it to my SIL (who currently has my original Genesis). Although not so "original" anymore. It had been smashed to the ground by construction equip. Thanks to Gerry who supplied me with another frame (an OG Genesis frame). But the fire box (though still working) suffered some damages. So, I was able to save the firebox of the Genesis I had here. And will help him install that at some point. So honestly the only thing remaining OG is the red top :D, the knobs, and control panel. Otherwise that's it.
Since getting Big Z, I've only used the Wolf twice. And only because I was in a real hurry to put some food on the table for hungry cranky little ones. So it did some quick burgers and dogs. That's been the extent of it's use, in close to 2 years now.

Yah, Larry, probably time to let the Wolf go. Not only will it go somewhere that it will get more use, but you will enjoy the deck space that is freed up. Even if you wind up putting a different and likely smaller grill in it's place.

Yah, Larry, probably time to let the Wolf go. Not only will it go somewhere that it will get more use, but you will enjoy the deck space that is freed up. Even if you wind up putting a different and likely smaller grill in it's place.
Scary part is I am likely to fill that space with something else :D

I have a performer for sale right now. I think green would go well on your deck.

I have a performer for sale right now. I think green would go well on your deck.

Nope, no coal burner on elevated wood decks for me. But one day when I have that concrete patio built down below................talk to me then!

Back