Dessert Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Groetsema

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey BBQ folks,
I am looking for an exotic, yet simple dessert recipe for a WSM, kettle, dutch oven, or other outdoor cooking device.

I am not much into the baked apple scene and while I like pineapple upside down cake, I am looking for soming a little more daring.

While in Alabama tonight, having some great creole dish (lobster and tasso in pasta), I also had chocolate creme brulee for the first time. A little searching on Yahoo found dozens of recipes.
Any one have experience cooking something of this style on a smoker?

Open and welcome to all suggestions.

Dale

p.s. This is for a dessert entry at cookoff next week in NC

Dale, I would say just give it a shot and see what happens. Lots of folks cook dessserts in the cookers, chocolate cakes, pecan pies and who knows what else. See ya next week.

Cook's Illustrated had a fabulous cookie dough peach cobbler recipe a few years ago. I gave it to a friend and he won 2nd in the Michigan contest. He would have one first but didn't pay as much attention to appearance as he should have. Several judges at that table told me it was the best they ever had.

Here's the recipe. It is an excellent one. I personally like to double the dough crust.<G>

Butter Cookie Dough Cobbler--Peach

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
8 tablespoon unsalted butter; softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 large egg; or one yolk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 lbs peaches; peeled, pitted & sliced t
2 teaspoon corn starch
1/3-1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract; optional
pinch cloves; optional

Dough
Mix flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl and set aside
Beat butter and sugar until well blended.
Beat in egg and vanilla.

Add flour mixture; stir until just combined.
Fruit Filling
Toss to coat peaches, cornstarch, sugar, and any optional ingredient.
Drop dough onto prepared fruit by heaping tablespoons.

Bake @ 375 for 45-55 minutes.

This recipe is for a 8" square or 9" round baking pan. May easily be
doubled for a13x9 inch pan.

Recipes works for any type of cobbler.

Hey Dale you cooking that cobbler ina dutch oven or on the Weber? 1 week and counting.

Raine,
If we do the cobbler, it will be in a Dutch Oven. Going to test it today, along with another test of Creme Brulee. May end up doing both in NC, getting some volunteer taste testers, and deciding on which to turn in at 645pm Friday night. HA.

Yep, one week and I am feeling the stress already of getting ready. Garage is starting to resemble a cookoff as I organize my gear. Both cars are relegated to the driveway until I leave.

See you soon....

Dale

Know what you mean Dale, started packing up some stuff in the trailer yesterday. Since we have the trailer now, we don't have things sitting everywhere. Sure makes a big difference in the packing and unpacking. Have most of it packed except for the last minute stuff like rubs, sauces and other groceries.
We like to do pineapple upside cakes in the DO. See ya on Friday. Have a safe trip and good luck!

I IS READY!!

My testing of chicken, brisket, meat loaf, and creme brulee recipes over the weekend went very well. Doing the taste test thing at work to make sure I am not biased in my opinion.

For brisket, I think I got a winner. If I can reproduce it in NC, I might get inducted into the Texas Hall of Fame. HA!

Dale

Yeah, we are more than ready! It is gonna be hard to make it through until mid-day at work on Thursday. Yep, always have co-workers, neighbors etc who we are giving samples to, for them to judge.

Dale, come on by Friday evening. Think we are bringing hotdogs and mustard relish (so you can try it before anyone else on the list does). Probably gonna make the mayor our award winning dessert too.

Raine,
We are making meat loaf, a special recipe of mine adopted to a smoker and the chocolate orange creme brulee. As a backup, my wife, Margareta, is making a peach cobbler that is pretty yummy too.

My garage is a mess with all the equipment spread out--hope nothing is forgotten. Oh well, if it is, guess I can buy another.

Is it a safe bet that I can buy green lettuce and parsley locally?

Dale

p.s. Always love hot dogs from the grill

Yep we usually try to make a list and check it off as we pack it up. Our house used to look like that until we got the enclosed trailer. Not sure where you might find garnish in King's Mtn as we usually bring ours from home. You could pick it up in Ashville or Shelby. They have a Super Walmart in Shelby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back