Dem Bones sauce - copycat recipe

Daryl S

TVWBB Super Fan
“Dem Bones” Sauce is a copycat recipe from a restaurant that was here in Vancouver BC, it closed many many years ago.

We use this on Ribs or Pulled Pork.
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 5 TBSP soya sauce
  • 1 lemon - thinly sliced and seeded
  • 1.5 ounces of fresh ginger ( grated )
  • 1.5 cups of Chili sauce ( Heinz )
  • 2 TBSP dried mustard
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove - minced( generous size )
Bring all the ingredients to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.

Add 2 TBSP of butter and 1 TBSP of lemon juice, salt to taste and simmer another 3 minutes ( or longer to reduce and thicken )

Strain and store in glass jar in the fridge - keeps several weeks.

*We have just pulled out the lemon slices without straining depending on what it's used for.

It's a little chunkier without straining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds easy enough to make.......we want this sauce becaaaaaause??????
I am looking for a life altering bbq sauce as most are similar.....might try this on the weekend.....
As long as you convince me it's life altering......

Sounds easy enough to make.......we want this sauce becaaaaaause??????
I am looking for a life altering bbq sauce as most are similar.....might try this on the weekend.....
As long as you convince me it's life altering......
I asked @Daryl S to post it. We used to live only a short walk from Dem Bones restaurant in Richmond, BC, Canada. I wanted to make the sauce for myself and my partner to try. I wanted to see whether it brings back memories of the happy times we shared when we lived in BC.

Dam Bones was good, but it was not a "great" or "memorable" BBQ restaurant. We lived close, and we have many fond memories of those days of good times with good friends at Dem Bones.

If the sauce is a good replica of what they had at Dem Bones, then it should be average good, but not life altering.

Thanks for the reply.......
Generally I prefer a vinegar sauce over a sugar sauce but I see both in there as well as that chili sauce which I also like by itself.
Sounds interesting........we will see what is on the grill this coming weekend and see what we can do.

Dem Bones, that's a blast from my past! Went there several times many, many, many years ago when I lived in Vancouver. Used to have the beef ribs which were always a hit with me and my then boyfriend. I have made a chili sauce based bbq sauce in the past for chicken that is reminiscent of the sauce you posted here which was really good. Will have to try this sauce out this weekend when I smoke a butt on the kettle. A quick puree in the food processor or with a hand held might make for a less chunky sauce, might try doing that with half of it. Happy Canada Day and July 4th weekend!

A quick puree in the food processor or with a hand held might make for a less chunky sauce, might try doing that with half of it.
Yes, I have used an immersion blender to puree the sauce.
I make sure to pull out what is left of the the lemon slices before I blended it.

Recently made some sauce to add to the pulled pork. Have a few packs of pulled pork frozen for future recipes.

Simmering with the lemon slices
963D580A-A75C-4B21-AC7F-87A6FD2947AA.jpeg

Pulled out the lemon pieces and
used the immersion blender
BB7BAB39-608E-479E-951E-E63F53D857C7.jpeg

Last edited:

Back