Deer hind quarter into Venison pasta & tacos

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
Awhile back my brother in law was given a deer hind leg and did not have room in his freezer, so it came to my house.

I looked at a few different ways to cook it, but most I found were to either stew or braise. Many thanks to some advice from Kevin and he also pointed me to this thread here.

My plan was to smoke for an hour or so at 275-300°, and then move to pan full of goodness. I basically emptied the refrigerator to create a wonderful liquid of chicken stock, red whine, carrots, celery, and onion, then added some whole rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns.

Here is what it started out as.

IMAG0214.jpg

The whole leg wouldn’t fit in a steam pan, so I removed the leg. I added a little oil and s&p and used some pecan & hickory.

IMAG0859.jpg

This is after an hour on the kettle.

DSC03402.jpg

I didn’t have the pan ready yet so it ended up being on the kettle for about an hour and a half. Heated up the gas grill to 325° and put the pan on there. It was 106° Saturday, so we really did not want an oven on in the house.

DSC03403.jpg

After an hour in the pan, 2.5 hrs overall:

DSC03404.jpg

2 hrs in pan, 3.5 overall

DSC03408.jpg

At 3 hrs pan / 4.5 overall a probe started to go in a little better. The bottom portion of the leg I had removed was a little better at this point and we pulled it off and chopped. Then we added to some rice, stuffed into bell peppers and topped with cheese for an appetizer. Delicious but no picture.

DSC03414.jpg

I ended up pulling it at 4 hrs in the pan, 5.5 hours overall but didn’t get a picture.

I took some of the liquid and reduced down by half, added pinch of salt, butter and dijon, and then tossed some penne with the sauce. We then added some of the shredded meat to the pasta. Served with green beans, squash & zucchini.

IMAG0860.jpg

Wish we had shredded the meat separately, but I was busy on the stove at the time.

Leftover meat
DSC03416.jpg

I strained the remaining liquid from the pan and put it in the refrigerator. On Sunday I went to heat up some meat for venison tacos. I went to spoon some of the liquid and it was 100% gelatinous goodness that tasted incredible. Added a couple spoonfuls and some water to a pot to reheat.

IMAG0863.jpg

Then made a couple tacos

IMAG0864.jpg

Many thanks goes to Kevin for the direction on this.

Looking forward to heating up the pasta for lunch today.

Missed this one 4 sure. Game is not really my cup of tea...But Hey..That looks stunning! Quality mate...QUALITY!

Back