Deep frying on a gas grill ?

H. Wilson

I have had a Weber 3 burner nat gas grill for several years and have gotten mixed results with it. Since it is gas and the heat can be controlled pretty well have any of you heated a deep pan with oil to deep fry ? Put the pan on the flavorizer bars or on the grates ? We found a restaurant that serves fried chicken livers and liked them very much and would like to do it at home too. And yes I know not to overheat the oil too much. Thanks.

As long as you don't over fill the pan, why not? It's still just a heat source.
There's a place around here that does gizzards and they are pretty darned tasty too!
Keep a fire extinguisher handy, just in case but, give it a shot. It's not going to be any more hazardous than frying a turkey.
Probably less.

I don't have a gas burner, but I have deep fried on a Cookshack pellet grill. It was just a matter of adjusting the heat to get the oil to 350°, if I remember right I had the grill set around 400° to accomplish that. A gas grill should work about the same.

It can be done, but it takes much longer to bring the oil up to temp, especially if you have a large pot of it.

You can deep fry on a grill and it is a good way to keep the grease smell out of the house. I've even done it on my charcoal grill. But why would you want to ruin chicken liver by deep frying it. There is no better way to cook chicken liver than simply to grill it with a little Lawry's and some pepper. That way you get to taste the meat. And it's much better for you that way too.

Everyone has favorites and to be honest, livers are pretty high on my list of fine snacks! Sautéed with a touch of salt and pepper, heaven! Do a pound and make a lovely pate to share on toast points.
Deep fried, delicious, do a pound and just enjoy.
Grill and burn your fingers with no regard because they are just plain good!
Damn, now I want those!
Maybe tomorrow.

The ones the restaurant made were crusty on the outside but tender inside. Yum yum ! They wouldn't say how they made them. I made some on my gas grill but didn't have a small mesh screen for them to lie on to keep them flatter but did start them on a Yoshi mat trying to get them firmer before moving them to the grates. Later on I may try a small pan just deep enough to heat the oil to try a batch. Thanks to all for the info.

The trick that one place told me was very careful heat control and, timing.
Pan frying is good too but, it's not the same as deep fried.
Just get a pound or two and have at it.
Pasta a la Caruso, nicely sautéed, some garlic, a little parsley, a splash of white wine and serve it over fettuccini with a glass of Sangiovese, the evening is a joy!

Back