Decreasing the temp...

BradyB

TVWBB Member
I have some ribs going right now and the temps got hot very fast in my smoker. I don't know how this happened. Right now I have the bottom vents closed to try to bring the temp down, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I added a bit of cold water to my clay saucer as well and that didn't much. How can I bring the temp down? It is at about 275 right now

close the top vent down to 25%. with all the bottom vents closed that should bring the temps down. You can close all the vents but you don't want to smother the fire.

Try to catch the temp coming up next time and use less lit to start.

You looking at lid temp or a probe on the grate?

275 won't hurt the ribs so you're doing ok.

Ah okay, I thought I wasn't supposed to close the top vent at all. I'll try that. Yeah I usually catch it on the way up. I haven't done this in over a year and got distracted right at the beginning and by that time the temp was already up. It has started to come down and is at about 255. How long would they take at these temps? I usually do about 225 or so. That last time, if I remember correctly, they took about 4 hours (baby backs). I put them on at 12:30 today, so I am thinking maybe they will be done around 4 (1/2 hour less?)

Closing the bottoms and bringing the top to no less than 25% for no more than 30 min is key, as noted above about smothering your fire. I don't cook less than 250 unless I need to stretch out a butt cook for timing reasons only. As long as you are less than 300, no worries although many of us cook more than that depending on what we are looking for.

Hey Brady, You got to have patience. Closing your vents will not lower the temp instantly. By adding cold water to your saucer means you had to open up your WSM and introduce fresh oxygen to your coals. Raising your temperature.

Back